rabbit meat sales

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sherrihargrove, Oct 5, 2016.

1. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    Does anyone know if I can legally sale rabbit meat in texas? [​IMG]

2. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Most states will let you sell meat privately with no interference. But if you want to sell commercially, your rabbitry will have to follow certain health code guidelines.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Only if you have a permit from your city/county and/or state health department, and not out of your home.
    This is not correct. Most states will let you slaughter your own animals, but if you sell to "the public" (and that means pretty much anyone who does not live in your home) you need to be licensed/inspected. You can sell live animals, but not processed ones. Most of the people who are selling meat to anyone are doing it illegally, with the attitude of "they gotta catch me first," and most health departments have better things to do than try to hunt for people doing this sort of thing. However, if they get a complaint, they will more than likely follow through with prosecution and fines.

4. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    I know people who have sold to freinds and family with no issues. Selling to "the public" would be putting an add in the paper or something of that nature. Private sales are not an issue.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  5. Bunnylady

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    The people you know are doing it illegally, whether they know it or not. The way the law reads in NY, the "farmer" can sell live animals, they can allow the purchaser to slaughter on their property, but they can't slaughter for the customer on their property.

For sale to any buyer as meat,, the animals must be slaughtered at an inspected facility.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    In the state of Washington any meat that is for selling purposes must be slaughtered at a USDA inspected processor, or by a USDA certified mobile butcher.
    The sale of livestock, however, is completely unregulated. You can sell meat animals to anyone, as long as the animal is still alive.

7. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Those are some of the laws known as the "blue laws". Are not regularly enforced, and most people could care less. Though selling live is preferred by the government, and by all means, the laws should be followed, no one is going to get that worked up if a couple dressed animals are sold or traded privately.

8. Bunnylady

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Actually, "blue laws" refers to laws regulating what you can't do on a Sunday - for example, in North Carolina, you can't sell alcoholic beverages before noon on a Sunday.

"Under the table" sales are done all the time, and as long as everybody is content, the law doesn't go looking for the violators. But if there is a complaint (a nosy neighbor that doesn't like the smell, or whatever) then such an illegal operation will be shut down.

9. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    If there is a complaint, even legal organizations can be shut down. If your rabbitry is just downright ugly, it can be complained as "an eyesore" or "smelly", even if it follows USDA guidelines to the letter. That alone can be enough for you to be asked to close down your operation.

10. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    I don't think that blue laws have to be on Sundays. They are just laws that are extremely stupid and weird. I don't know. There is another name for laws that are just not really enforced, but I can't remember it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by