Chicks 'n ducks

Songster
Jan 23, 2018
Northern Colorado
Hello all,
I have a 3 year old Dwarf Hotot doe that I purchased last year. She had had several healthy litters with them. Since I have owned her, she has had one false pregnancy and one failed pregnancy. She had 3 DOA kits total, all days apart she reabsorbed and mummified one kit that she later passed. I bred her again to my 5 month old buck and she is now on day 32. She has built a nest but hasn't pulled fur. Since yesterday, she has been having weird contraction things- She spreads her legs lifts her tail, and strains. Some yellowish substance has come out that has the texture of egg white. She has gained 8oz and looks very large, although I can't feel babies kicking. Could she still have kits? I'm so worried. Thanks in advance!

Hello all,
I have a 3 year old Dwarf Hotot doe that I purchased last year. She had had several healthy litters with them. Since I have owned her, she has had one false pregnancy and one failed pregnancy. She had 3 DOA kits total, all days apart she reabsorbed and mummified one kit that she later passed. I bred her again to my 5 month old buck and she is now on day 32. She has built a nest but hasn't pulled fur. Since yesterday, she has been having weird contraction things- She spreads her legs lifts her tail, and strains. Some yellowish substance has come out that has the texture of egg white. She has gained 8oz and looks very large, although I can't feel babies kicking. Could she still have kits? I'm so worried. Thanks in advance!

I don’t know too much about this, but I recommend seeing your local vet...

People keep telling you to take the rabbit to a vet, but most vets know little or nothing about rabbits. From where I sit, she will either have a healthy litter or she won't. If she doesn't I would suggest you either retire her as a pet or put her in the crockpot. One vet bill will buy you an awfully nice rabbit,

I hope no one ever tells me to put any of my 3 pet rabbits in the crockpot... :bun One of rabbits died last week and there were a lot of tears shed on my part...

I hope no one ever tells me to put any of my 3 pet rabbits in the crockpot... :bun One of rabbits died last week and there were a lot of tears shed on my part...

Those are your alternatives. You can either retire an unsuitable rabbit to be a pet or put it in the pot. Whatever you do, don't pawn a nasty rabbit off on some unsuspecting person who wants a pet. I am glad your bunnies are all nice pets. Not all rabbits are, but I once had a big New Zealand buck that was everything anybody could possibly want in a pet. I still miss him.

I guess if one is the kind of person that likes rabbit meat it's an option... I respect one's choice of which animals to raise for meat. We are raising hogs for meat currently. I have a relationship with them though(I taught one to sit on command) so I hope I don't freak out when it's time to butcher.:fl

Back
Top Bottom