rabbit pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bantyman, Nov 7, 2008.

1. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Hey all [​IMG]
    I have heard of some people feeding their chickens rabbit pellets during the winter to give them the grass they need for the dark yolks Seeing as how rabbit pellets are mostly alfalfa would this hurt the birds or help?

Mike [​IMG]

2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Interesting question. Looking forward to an answer.

3. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It wont hurt them to have them occasionally , but a steady diet of them could be a problem , remember most feeds are formulated for the spcific animal.
    You can suppliment the chicken grain with rabbit pellets but it might be better to give them hay instead.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Why spend money on rabbit food when you can buy alfalfa cubes and beet pulp shreds for the same money without added minerals that might throw the chickens nutritionally off balance.

If you want to add things to their diet look at your feed store or even TSC for alfalfa cubes, beet pulp shreds and other natural feed supplements.

Just be careful. Too much of a good thing and they will not eat their laying feed and your egg rate will drop off.

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I saw a thread somewhere on BYC about giving chickens alfalfa cubes to peck at in the winter. That's what I'm going to do...but I also have horses I can feed the excess too. [​IMG]

6. bantyman

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    I wasnt thinking of giving it as the sole ration or in any great amount I was only thinking of every other day or so And then just throwing some out with their scratch

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would limit the treats of rabbit pellets. The mineral and vitamin balance in the feed can upset your hens natural chemical balance. Read and compare the lables and make sure there isn't high concentration of certain minerals.

8. bantyman

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Alfalfa cubes.....sounds better And the beet pulp Ive never heard of that But it could be good

9. bantyman

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Good advice MissPrissy Maybe not so much or none of the rabbit pellets?

10. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I saw beet pulp at my local TSC yesterday, but didn't think about it for chickens...now I have something else to research! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by