Rabbit people - how often do you breed your doe?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Jun 22, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am curious what my BYC peeps have to say. I am getting such varying information on another rabbit board.

2. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Never.

They are all spayed and neutered.

3. debilorrah

Well, at least you put it to the top.

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I have only breed my breeder doe once and know I just don't have enough cages to wean and grow out in.

5. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I only bred mine once per year......but I raised english angoras and I live in texas. I know a lot of breeders will just breed and breed and breed but the longevity and health of their rabbits suffer horribly. [​IMG]

6. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    When I do breed my rabbits(which isn't very often) I usually only breed them once a year(early spring or mid. fall) or I at least give them a five month interval between...you could probably breed them more than this but I would imagine it would be tough on the rabbits...

7. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    I have checkered giants and i only breed once every 8 months or so. ive been told as short as 4-6 months in between but with mine being giant breeds, they tend to mature a bit slower and take a bit longer to wean off momma.

8. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    For show stock that is actively showing once a year, I also limit it to once a year for does that have large litters or if they loose condition while they are pregnant/nursing. Have had a couple of does that stay "fat" in condition even when pregnant and nursing (mostly meat rabbits with small/med litters) so they get bred 2 times a year but I wouldn't do more than that. Some big time breeders rebreed 2 day - 2 weeks after delivery of a litter because it is said they are more apt to take then but I honestly feel that is too soon and too hard on the does. Sometimes it seems like the bucks have the easy job. LOL

9. debilorrah

Quote:They absolutely have the easy job!! I actually had someone tell me I can re-breed her right now. That shocked me!!! I wouldn't think that more than 3 times a year would be very healthy at all.

10. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    I raise rabbits for meat for my pets and me, so here is what I do:

They are bred starting early spring. They kindle, and then I rebredd them when the babies they have are 4 weeks old. I do this as often as possible untill winter. I then butcher the mothers, or hold them through winter, and hold back the best babies of the summer for replacements. I usually end up getting about 4 litters per doe per year.
    If your rabbit is a pet or a show animal then it will be different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by