Rabbit people!!! Info needed!! Please!!!! *UPDATED*

ChickenPrnces

Songster
8 Years
Jan 2, 2012
Deerfield, NH
My pregnant New Zealand has a spot or two of blood in her cage! Is this normal and she is about to give birth or is something wrong?????

Ok! The original post was from 2 days ago! There has been no more blood! Both girls due are now overdue by 1 to 2 days! They lay very oddly on their sides with their bottoms almost facing up! No fur pulling! No nest building! Now won't even touch the hay I give them! I can see something roling around in their tummies! Are they actually pregnant or just really fat girls! *PICS INCLUDED*

Last edited:
Honestly rabbita never "look" pregnant, so I can't tell by your pictures. But if you push gentle down by there abdomen (you may have to push kind of far in feel for bumps, movement. This is reallythe only way to find out, unless you go to the vet. How many days are they now then? And are you 100% on the date you put the buck in? How many times did you breed them?

Has the doe any discharge from the vent area? It is possible that she has a baby stuck in there, but there'd definitely be some discharge and swelling in the vent area if that were the case.

Can you actually feel any babies in the doe's abdomen? At this point, you are unlikely to injure the kits, even if you've never palpated a rabbit before. They should be about as long and thick as your thumb at this stage, so they'd be pretty easy to feel if they are in there.

The normal gestation period for rabbits is 31 days, plus or minus a couple. Most of my does go 32 days, though I have had a couple that always kindled on day 30. A doe with a really large litter may kindle in as few as 28 days; one with only a couple of babies may go to day 34 and the babies will be fine. If a doe goes to day 35 or later, the one or two kits usually produced in such a long gestation are usually enormous, and hardly ever survive the birth process.

You said that "something is rolling around in their tummies." Babies that are this far along are pretty large and fairly active; you can sometimes see them pushing out against the doe's abdominal wall if she is still enough. Food passing through her digestive tract can produce visible flank action, too, but it is much slower and smoother.

A doe carrying a big litter can develop a pretty good "baby bump," but with many does, it's hard to tell just by looking. Have either of these does had litters before? Have they done any digging, fur pulling, or any other nest making behaviors? If not, your girls may just be fooling you.

Honestly rabbita never "look" pregnant, so I can't tell by your pictures. But if you push gentle down by there abdomen (you may have to push kind of far in feel for bumps, movement. This is reallythe only way to find out, unless you go to the vet. How many days are they now then? And are you 100% on the date you put the buck in? How many times did you breed them?

they were both with him on Dec 22nd for 2 hours each and then on the 23rd for two hours each in the opposite order. I used a calendar to count 31 day forward and that landed at due dates of either Jan 22nd or 23rd. Its the 24th and no babies! I see them rolling around in their bellies though when they lay on their sides! They will not let me hold them to palpate so that is a no go! They have both definitely gained weight! I know they don't always look pregnant but these chicks have big ole round bellies all of a sudden the last week!

Has the doe any discharge from the vent area? It is possible that she has a baby stuck in there, but there'd definitely be some discharge and swelling in the vent area if that were the case.

Can you actually feel any babies in the doe's abdomen? At this point, you are unlikely to injure the kits, even if you've never palpated a rabbit before. They should be about as long and thick as your thumb at this stage, so they'd be pretty easy to feel if they are in there.

The normal gestation period for rabbits is 31 days, plus or minus a couple. Most of my does go 32 days, though I have had a couple that always kindled on day 30. A doe with a really large litter may kindle in as few as 28 days; one with only a couple of babies may go to day 34 and the babies will be fine. If a doe goes to day 35 or later, the one or two kits usually produced in such a long gestation are usually enormous, and hardly ever survive the birth process.

You said that "something is rolling around in their tummies." Babies that are this far along are pretty large and fairly active; you can sometimes see them pushing out against the doe's abdominal wall if she is still enough. Food passing through her digestive tract can produce visible flank action, too, but it is much slower and smoother.

A doe carrying a big litter can develop a pretty good "baby bump," but with many does, it's hard to tell just by looking. Have either of these does had litters before? Have they done any digging, fur pulling, or any other nest making behaviors? If not, your girls may just be fooling you.

The huge white one had a couple drops of blood 2 days ago. Have not seen anything else though! It is really hard to palpate them as they will not even let me touch them right now! This is litter number 3 for the big white one and the spotted one is a first timer!

Back
Top Bottom