Rabbit poisoned with fertilizer! Will she survive? UPDATED!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickensioux, Jul 6, 2011.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    After a quick trip to the vet, she is now unconscious on Valium and we are waiting the outcome. Flemish giant, she ate grass seed w/ fertilizer. Anyone know or experienced this?
    [​IMG] <------me

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I haven't experience with this but just wanted to send my very best wishes for your bunny's full recovery [​IMG]
    JJ

3. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Thank you. She is the biggest, sweetest bunny I have ever seen. She is just like a big lap dog. She loves to be loved. I don't know what I'll do if I lose her.......[​IMG]

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Best Wises ! I wonder if they can do one of those stomach pumps, or a laxative or something.

Goodluck ! [​IMG]

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I always make sure my grass isn't treated with anything before I let my pets out, but I never would have even thought about fertilizer. Thank you so much for posting this as it is a good warning too. I am terribly sorry to hear about your bun. A big bunny like a Flemish really has such a huge presence, and I hear they are very much like having a dog around the house. I am so sorry this happened, and for what you must be feeling right now. I really hope she pulls through. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    So sad, I am wishing the very best for your bun...talk to her and be near her I pray that she hears you and comes around.
    I have a Flemmie & I would be so sad if anything happened.
    Hugs

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh gosh, I really hope she is ok!!!!

8. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    [​IMG] poor bun bun...hope she pulls through. [​IMG]

9. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    She survived the night (I was extremely skeptical). She is unstable but way better. She has a head tilt and nystagmus. She ate celery and lettuce and drank. I suppose time will tell but I feel good that she will improve with time. I found a few articles and have been doing the suggested treatments for optimal recovery. Thanks for all the kind words. She is very dear to me.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=485&S=1&SourceID=43
    Here
    is a great article regarding "Head tilt". It has many causes one of which is poisoning or toxicity.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This is SUCH good news. I am very relieved, you certainly don't need that right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by