Rabbit Prolapse please help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by guineagirl23, Oct 1, 2013.

1. guineagirl23

guineagirl23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    My New Zealand white went into labor sometime during the night. This morning I found her barely alive with hhorrible prolapse. I have the seven babies inside warming up and on my way to get kitten replacement formula. The mother passed away about 5 mins ago what can I do to save the babies?

2. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Hi! Kitten milk replacer is good, but whole raw goats milk is better. You will need to mix the formula a little heavy because rabbit milk is one of the most nutritious in the world.

Feed once or twice a day, in the morning and at night only what they can eat in a few minutes. After each feeding wipe the baby down with a warm, wet paper towel, especially on the tummy and genitals. They can't poop on their own and this will stimulate them to go to the bathroom, probably right onto the paper towel. They will need this for their first week at least. They will not need it once they are out of the nest box.

Get a small box and set it up just like you would if mom were around. Since rabbits don't sit on nests like chickens there's no need for anything different in their nest. A small box, fill it and line it with hay, push your fist into it to make a sort of cubbyhole in the hay, line this with lot of fur and put the babies in, put more fur on top. You can pull fur from another rabbit, or even mom's body if you have to. Once they're in the nest, cup your hands over the fur and blow in it to puff it all up like a mom rabbit does. Do this every time you feed them until they are about 10 days old and well-furred.

When they start to come out of the nestbox at about two weeks, make sure they have LOTS of hay In the cage and probiotics in the water (bene-bac or probios work fine). Itroduce them to waterbottles by picking them up and nudging their face against it so they get wet on their face. They normally get their probiotics from mom's milk and her droppings. Without those you have to be extra careful about making sure they get lots of probiotics. They also normally learn what to eat and drink from mom. Around this time you can start introducing pellets and gentle greens (strawberry and blackberry leaves are good) to their diet. They will need milk for at least their first three weeks and up to five weeks. To wean them off just drop down to one, and then one very short feeding a day the none. Wen between 3 and 5 weeks.

Good luck!

3. guineagirl23

guineagirl23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    Thanks for the help but we got it taken care of now :) for them with a Foster mom

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    That is absolutely the best way to go if you can. Good luck!

5. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    It's very true. Glad things have worked out!

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Prolapse is an inherited weakness, personally I would not keep any of these bunnies (male or female) as future breeding stock. They will probably make wonderful pets.

And, we would all love to see pictures . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by