rabbit purposes other than meat or fibre?

Stop pushing your meat free agenda. You are stating opinions and theories like they are facts. If you don't want to eat meat cool. Don't shame other people for their choice though. Especially people who give an animal a good life and a quick end.
Hard agree. I have indoor pet rabbits whom I love dearly and spoil. I also have a friend who raises her own meat rabbits. I am not morally opposed to this as I am not a vegetarian so how could I be. She gives them a good life and a quick death. Truly, rabbits are one of the more sustainable meats as they grow and reproduce so quickly, and don't require as much feed/water as larger animals.

I could not kill and eat my own rabbits and I do not think I would eat rabbit if given the opportunity, but it certainly doesn't mean I judge those who do it in an appropriate way.

I know some people have strong convictions about eating animals and I generally am not gonna get involved in discussions about it, but this is a back yard chickens forum...I think it is to be expected that not everyone here is a vegetarian.

This doesn't seem like the appropriate place for people to come and crusade a meat free mission. Those here who raise meat animals probably do so in a more humane way than the vast majority of commercial meat production.

In third world countries, were they get little to no meat. There has been studies that show that just a little meat a day will improve IQ, and livability amongst other things.

I'd be curious to read those studies, and I will admit I'm too lazy to search for them myself.

I've read of health issues associated with eating too much meat, but I notice you say "a little meat a day." Maybe it's like so many other things in life, that some is good but large amounts cause problems.

Once upon a time, I thought it would be virtuous to be a vegan. Then I started raising quail and realized that being vegan is not the apex of virtuosity I once envisioned. In fact, for omnivores like humans it can be downright wasteful. These days, I would refer to myself as a permaculturist. I like the idea of sustainability and ethical eating, which includes eating animals.

Nature in its primitive state is part of a cycle of life. Are cats not virtuous because they are obligate carnivores? What about bears? Take only what you will eat and restore balance to what you have taken. If you like eating rabbit, dispatch them humanely and repopulate in a balanced manner. Do not set domestic animals loose into the wilderness which has its own equilibrium. And for heaven's sake, don't bait rabbit breeders in their own forum.

Once upon a time, I thought it would be virtuous to be a vegan. Then I started raising quail and realized that being vegan is not the apex of virtuosity I once envisioned. In fact, for omnivores like humans it can be downright wasteful. These days, I would refer to myself as a permaculturist. I like the idea of sustainability and ethical eating, which includes eating animals.

Nature in its primitive state is part of a cycle of life. Are cats not virtuous because they are obligate carnivores? What about bears? Take only what you will eat and restore balance to what you have taken. If you like eating rabbit, dispatch them humanely and repopulate in a balanced manner. Do not set domestic animals loose into the wilderness which has its own equilibrium. And for heaven's sake, don't bait rabbit breeders in their own forum.
Well put :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom