Rabbit Q's

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Feb 12, 2009.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I just bought three Californian rabbits. The breeder told me they were 4 mos old, but I'm doubtful.

These wee things weigh less than 4 lbs. How old do you guys think they really are?

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had to re read that and edit what I said, can you post a picture?
    4 months old they should weigh between 5 and 6 lbs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    The could have come from a small line. I have two trios. One that is a mutt trio of Cal Nz crosses and then a pure breed line from a respected breeder. The pure line females are ridiculously heavier than the mutt trio. So maybe make sure you are purchasing quality stock.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    True californians have red/pink eyes. Mine was over 4 pounds by the time she was 8 weeks old.

5. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    They are true californians. Breeder said he was feeding them to be smaller? These were intended to be pet sales, he says.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    That's a real possiblity. I used to raise Hollands, and restrictive feeding is part of how you get them to stay small (if they come from bigger lines). Show animals got only a 1/2 cup per day, but my breeders got around 3/4 cup-and more when they had kits.

However, if you are wanting them as breeders, not as pets, restrictive feed kits won't be as productive. Does need the extra body capacity to hold kits and feed when they are feeding the kits.

7. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I had purchased them to butcher. DH sent me to pick them up, I'm sure he would have refused them if he had gone. We have an elderly friend, very very dear to us, who requested a rabbit dinner (start to finish if you know what I mean) and I have come to find that meat rabbits are not easy to come by around here. What do I know?! I've only ever had pet rabbits!

I am going to pour the feed to them and see if they gain. If not, they're pretty tame, so I'll just sell them as pets. They're freaking ADORABLE. I don't know how anyone eats one.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    If it were me, I'd just sell them as pets and start over. The best rates of gain are in young animals. Restrictive feeding keeps their bone structure from growing like it normally would. They may put on fat, but they aren't likely to get much bigger frame wise.

PS: I don't know how anyone eats them either. But I've heard rabbit is very tasty. I couldn't do it. No way, no how.

9. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I ate one of my rabbits. And doing the deed was beyond hard. But dinner was delicious.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    mmmmm rabbit.....

My wife won't let me eat our Holland Lops.

Weeer hundinnn wabbitts.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by