rabbit question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenmaven, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    We recently got a lovely 6 mo. old mini-rex. She is adorable. Her little nails need trimming. I am a big wimp on this, after I made a dog bleed years ago. In fact, my vet cuts my dog's nails....
    I refuse to pay to have this bunny groomed. Should I just use human clippers?

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I use human clippers-they work just fine. Are the nails dark or light? I love white nails-I never feel like I'm going to go to far on them!

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    A little trick for dark nails is to have someone shine a flashlight under the nail and you'll see the vein and where to clip.
    HTH...

4. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Dog type nail clippers are best. Human clippers can cause the nail to split or splinter. I rarely need to clip my 3 bunnies nails. They have a brick in their run that they like to scratch at and this keeps there nails filed.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    The brick is a great idea. I have only had to clip one rabbits nails. The others never needed it. I use the same trimmers that I use on the goats. But I would recomend the dog clippers for your bunny.

6. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Actually the cat clippers are even better than the dog clippers. They're easier to use for rabbits.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Thanks. This is a teeny bunny. My dogs have all been 90lb. +++

8. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Thanks. This is a teeny bunny. My dogs have all been 90lb. +++

Glad I could help. [​IMG] Feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all...only too glad to make a bunny happy.

I have rescued and desexed (very important for house rabbits) many, many rabbits.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Good idea Norma-I have dog clippers and they are too bit for little nails [​IMG]

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

To help trim the nails on rabbits you can also put a shingle in the cage, a piece of drywall, or even a chunk of cement. Anything they can rub/scratch there nails on. I use these things and have never had to file/clip any nails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by