1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Whitewinterwolf, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    12 year old rabbit just passed away, literally...
    Well, my concern is not that he passed (He stopped eating yesterday so i was kinda expecting it [​IMG] ), but that he had a hutch friend, a three year old dwarf Lion head cross named Kush, he is now all by himself and I am not sure if he will be ok or not.
    Should I be looking into getting him a hutch friend? (The rabbit hutch is a double hutch, the rabbits never met, but still.) Or do you think he will be ok? What is the behavior of a rabbit in this situation, what should I be looking for?
    The books I have on rabbits are not telling me anything about something like this, only about breeding (which I dont need) care, and grooming.
    Any suggestions?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think your lionhead will be fine. He may grieve for a bit, but overall rabbits are solitary animals. Just make sure to give him extra attention. By the way, 12 years is a long time for a rabbit!!!!

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:It is a very old age, we got him at the age of 7, and its been 5 years, so hes 12 unless the previous owner got his age wrong. But yes, he lived a very happy old life...
    So you think Kush will be ok? Alright, ill just keep a close eye on him and go over more frequently then I normally do, Thank you.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:It is a very old age, we got him at the age of 7, and its been 5 years, so hes 12 unless the previous owner got his age wrong. But yes, he lived a very happy old life...
    So you think Kush will be ok? Alright, ill just keep a close eye on him and go over more frequently then I normally do, Thank you.

Your welcome. He may be sad for a bit, but he will be fine overall.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts

Your welcome. He may be sad for a bit, but he will be fine overall.

Ok, again thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by