Rabbit questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Aug 16, 2008.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Is it normal for a black rabbit to have "agouti" mixed in with their fur? My black doe appears to have agoutix mixed in with her coat. Or is her color just rusting like some other animal's coats do(like my rats)
    [​IMG]

Has any one ever seen or heard of a rabbit have greenish/grey eyes? One of my black charlie rabbits have weird colored eyes. I've only seen rabbits with brown,red/ruby and blue eyes.
    Sorry this isnt a real good picture of her eyes, I'll try again:
    [​IMG]

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yes the agouti color can come through black like that. I used to raise chinchilla satins, and would get throwbacks like that sometimes. I'm quite sure there are also breeds with light ambery eyes. What breed do you think the second bunny is?

3. warsawffagurl

warsawffagurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Warsaw, IN
    technically you dont have a black rabbit there!
    lol its a steel... looks like a gold tipped black steel.
    and the bottom one has blue-gray eyes
    if u look in the standard of perfection blue-gray looks exactly like that.. i have quite a few buns with the same color eyes...
    i hope i have helped,
    Jennifer See
    www.freewebs.com/jandrrabbitry

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It's hard to say what color the eyes actually are because of the flash. Flash is notorius for distorting colors. And yes, it would be called a steel, here is a page on those genetics if you're interested http://www.thenaturetrail.com/EGene.htm

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    My Californian is only dark black tipped in the winter. If its hot out the black is really gray and sometimes white. Maybe thats whats going on.

6. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    The flash throws the eye color off a bit. The eyes dont look like thy have even a hit of blue in them, only green and grey,but I'm not up to date on rabbit colors though,lol.

The flash also throw off the color of the black rabbit. She is a very dark black with the agouti coming through.

Both of them are meat mixes, so I have no clue on what breed(s) they are.

Thanks for the link

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  7. warsawffagurl

warsawffagurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Warsaw, IN
    no bantyhugger,
    californians black color reacts to the weather
    when its hot outside there color goes away when its cold it comes in really dark.
    If they sit on cold wire it can put marks on their white pelts, which can be a problem.
    That color changing happens in all himalayan colored rabbits.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:They look like satins for sure. I would say satin crosses, but the satin fur is recessive, and doesn't come through.

9. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by