Rabbit's back hips rotated to the left?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
A month or two ago, I rescued Aspen after being dumped on a friends property. She's been doing great, using the litter box most of the time, and being fairly friendly. Though I've noticed that her back hips are almost rotated sideways. I kinda noticed it before, but blamed it on her slipping on the cement floor. I was just watching her pretty closely while doing some crafting on the carpet, and something definitely isn't normal.
It looks as if her back hips/legs are rotated under her body to the left. When she turns, she doensn't move her back hips and rather pivots while in the flop position. Our internet isn't great so I may not be able to upload a video, but I'll try to get some photos showing the position.
Has anyone seen this before? She hasn't been able to successfully potty train, and I'm wondering if this is why. Maybe she has trouble getting in the litter box? Is there anything I can do?
I don't know how old she is, or anything really other than gender. If its something concerning, a vet is an option, but wont be able to afford anything super expensive. Thanks for the help everyone.

Pictures-
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1911.jpg
IMG_1906.JPG

Last edited:
Note that she can get her back legs underneath her in the sitting position. Then she seems normal. But when she hops her hips rotate and she ends up sideways when she stops. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but is definitely concerning.

I don't really know.

If I was raising meat rabbits, I would butcher one like that, not breed it.

But for a pet, if it does not seem to bother her, I would probably look at her carefully and then leave it alone until you can ask a vet. If you are planning to get her spayed, definitely ask the vet before you schedule the surgery, so he can judge whether it's a reason not to do the surgery, or a reason to do the surgery differently, or maybe something to look at or fix while she's under anesthesia for spaying.

I don't really know.

If I was raising meat rabbits, I would butcher one like that, not breed it.

But for a pet, if it does not seem to bother her, I would probably look at her carefully and then leave it alone until you can ask a vet. If you are planning to get her spayed, definitely ask the vet before you schedule the surgery, so he can judge whether it's a reason not to do the surgery, or a reason to do the surgery differently, or maybe something to look at or fix while she's under anesthesia for spaying.
Thank you. I figured a vet would be my only option. Take note that the photos make the rotation look more sever since she's in the sitting position. When she's walking the rotation is much slighter. When she's in her litter box she sits normally, eating sits normal, or cleaning herself she gets her legs underneath her, but when she's moving she tends to have her hips rotated is what it seems like. Moving, turning, or stopping between paces.

I believe the vet that sees rabbits does a mandatory check up before a spay or neuter to make sure they will be able to do the surgery safely. I'll have to mention it when they check her out. Once I'm able to get that scheduled.
Thank you! I'm glad that it doesn't seem to concerning, but its definitely worrisome. I'll try to keep this thread updated.

Update: I've been paying special attention to Aspen lately and watching her hop. She can get her feet under her, matter of fact I just watched her hop across the living room normally. It just seems like sometimes she can't? I'm trying to find a pattern to see if certain things make her hop awkwardly, but its not the flooring since she's hopped normally and with a rotation on the carpet.
I'll keep you updated, any thoughts as to why she might only hop like that sometimes?

any thoughts as to why she might only hop like that sometimes?

Maybe sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't?
Maybe hopping straight takes more effort, so when she is tired she doesn't bother?
Maybe hopping oddly is fun, so she only does it when she feels playful? (Although that seems unlikely to me.)

Those are just guesses, based on what I've seen of people who walk or move oddly. I also don't know whether the rabbit had some injury, or was born with something odd, or is doing it for some non-physical reason.

Maybe sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't?
Maybe hopping straight takes more effort, so when she is tired she doesn't bother?
Maybe hopping oddly is fun, so she only does it when she feels playful? (Although that seems unlikely to me.)

Those are just guesses, based on what I've seen of people who walk or move oddly. I also don't know whether the rabbit had some injury, or was born with something odd, or is doing it for some non-physical reason.
These were my thoughts as well. I've observed both behaviors in the morning, so I'm to sure if its about being tired. I've seen her hop normally in the evening as well, but that could have been after a nap to.
It could be periodically painful. I'll keep observing it and see if I notice a pattern.
Its really is hard to know. She was out in the wilderness for at least a week, so she could have sustained some kind of trauma there.

Back
Top Bottom