rabbit tractor

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by nellynelly, Jan 31, 2014.

1. nellynelly

nellynelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Bogota, Col
    i want to start raising meat rabbits in tractors. i would like to raise them on pasture, ideally in the paths of an existing orchard. the problem, we have weeded out all grass. the primary plant is clover. would that provide adequate diet?

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    No I don't think it will. My Grandpa built a rabbit tractor from the hoop coop idea. Works great!!! besides young bunnies will die when they eat greens. So you might think about that to. Good Luck!!!

3. nellynelly

nellynelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Bogota, Col
    a rabbit is an animal, one that existing long before feed pellets. so i find it hard to believe that eating greens (a more natural diet in my mind), would kill.

4. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Om please don't take my word for it. Try it and please let me know how it works.
    When I first started raising rabbits I lost my first few litters because of the greens.

5. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I highly doubt that clover alone would be a suitable diet - and, as said before, it's not the best for young rabbits to eat fresh greens. I've let bunnies 3 weeks old+ have some time out in the grass, but I try to watch them closely and they don't get more than half an hour out of their cage. Little bunnies' digestive tracts are easily upset.

Here is an article on naturally feeding rabbits - without pellets. http://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/09/09/naturally-feeding-rabbits/
    Here's another one about growing rabbit food. http://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/grow-your-own-rabbit-food-zkrz12zreg.aspx

Still, neither article seems to answer your question. My opinion is that clover definitely is not a complete diet. There are lots of factors about a rabbit's diet that should be considered. While the tractor idea seems great - adult rabbits love to be able to graze freely, and it's fine to let them do so as much as they please - your rabbits will need a complete diet of pellets or something you grow or make yourself.

I do agree with you, however, that it seems unreasonable that greens would be harmful to young rabbits. I'm not sure why this is the case, but most agree that it's not a good idea to let them have too much, if any at all.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by