Rabbit Treat List - Yummy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mom2jedi, Jun 30, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Found this list somewhere online - I can't remember where now - and cleaned it up a little. It's pretty complete. Thought it would be a good idea to post it for all the other rabbit owners out there. If there is something missing please add to the list! [​IMG]

Rabbit Veggie List

Alfalfa, radish & clover sprouts
    Basil
    Beet greens (tops)*
    Bok choy
    Broccoli (mostly leaves/stems)*
    Brussels sprouts
    Carrot & carrot tops*
    Celery
    Cilantro
    Clover
    Collard greens*
    Dandelion greens & flowers (no pesticides)*
    Endive*
    Escarole
    Green peppers
    Kale (!)*
    Mint
    Mustard greens*
    Parsley*
    Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*
    Peppermint leaves
    Raddichio
    Radish tops
    Raspberry leaves
    Romaine lettuce (no iceberg or light colored leaf)*
    Spinach (!)*
    Watercress*
    Wheat grass

Fruit List**
    Apple (remove stem and seeds)
    Blueberries
    Melon
    Orange (without the peel)
    Papaya
    Peach
    Pear
    Pineapple
    Plums
    Raspberries
    Strawberries

(!)=Use sparingly. High in either oxalates or goitrogens and may be toxic in accumulated quantities over a period of time

Select at least three kinds of vegetables daily. A variety is necessary in order to obtain the necessary nutrients, with one each day that contains Vitamin A, indicated by an *. Add one vegetable to the diet at a time. Eliminate if it causes soft stools or diarrhea.

**Sugary fruits such as bananas and grapes should be used only sparingly, as occasional treats. Bunnies have a sweet tooth and if left to their own devices will devour sugary foods to the exclusion of healthful ones.**

2. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks for posting this, I have seen this same list before and forgot all about it. My little bunny is going to be so happy when I can start giving him stuff out of the garden [​IMG]

3. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:You're welcome! I posted this last night on a new rabbit owner's thread and thought all the other bunny lovers out there might like it too!

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I gave mine some cold watermelon last week when the chickens got some on a hot day. They sure loved it. Can rabbits have cabbage?

5. Amanda0609

Mar 22, 2010
    I have a question, I give my rabbit branches from my apple trees are the leaves ok? So far I have been cutting them off.

6. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Mine love watermelon too. Especially if it's been in the fridge and it's hot out. As for the cabbage, that's a no. Both cabbage and lettuce can cause diarrhea and bloat. Dark leaved lettuce is okay but in moderation.

7. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:You can give them the leaves too! Just looked it up and apparently only apple leaves are good for them versus other types of fruit tree leaves. It was suggested to wash them first and make sure there were no pesticides used on the tree.

8. Amanda0609

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:You can give them the leaves too! Just looked it up and apparently only apple leaves are good for them versus other types of fruit tree leaves. It was suggested to wash them first and make sure there were no pesticides used on the tree.

Thanks, I will let him have some leaves next time! Sorry you had to look it up, I thought someone would just know. I knew he couldn't have apple seeds... Thanks again! [​IMG]

9. Tinted

Tinted Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky
    All time fav of my herd is fruit loops. They go bonkers for them. Only give a few every now and then due to the high sugar but they will LOVE them.

Edit: Spelling FAIL!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  10. Eggstra New

Eggstra New Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Springport, Michigan
    Great post thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by