rabbit with a wet mouth/chin/ nose?

missy_cbell21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
maysville, nc
I had bought a rabbit last week that looked a bit thin but noticed no other problems, I got her home and she started sneezing alot! She was not close to any other rabbits but I did not change my clothes between caring for them. I didn't think of that. I never went straight from sneezer to the other rabbits. Well we culled her and found she was a he... any ways.

Today was the hottest day we have had this year and I had frozen bottles out for the buns and noticed one rabbit had a wet face. Her nose and mouth were so wet it looked matted. Her neck was wet as well but not as bad. Her paws were wet and I did see her grooming her face. I moved her right away. She is not having any other symptoms I can think of. She may have ear mites but we treated with horse paste about 4 days ago.
I had another rabbit with a wet chin but she was resting her head on her bottle and her chin/neck were very cold so I am sure hers was just the condensation on the bottle wetting her fur.
Now I am just worrying if I moved her for no reason. How long should I keep her away from the others after she is symptom free?

Also is a rabbit treated with horse paste safe for humans or dogs to eat? I have it in the fridge waiting for a reply. Thanks, Missy

I know I have seen something similar to this asked before but searched and could not find what I needed. Sorry for the repeat.

Quote:
Wet nose, wet chin, wet dew lap is all signs of heat stress/ heat stroke. best to bring it inside and let it cool down. usually a good indication of heat stroke is their head is tipped back onto their cxhoulders and they pant hard.
move to a cool shaded area, the frozen bottles help but not enough with out shade, I have also put a fan out to circulate the air, do not let it blow directly on the rabbit.
you can also spritz down their ears with ice water, do not soak the ears , rabbits shed heat by their ears and panting.

all symptoms you have mentioned are not how pasturella will start. BUT this rabbit is now suseptable to it.getting over heated weakens their already weak immune system.
keep an eye on her and keep her shaded, All rabbits need air circulating and shade in this heat.

Any animal you have trewted with wormer shouldnt be eaten, how many days between administering it and the cull?
anything over a day is not advisable.

Quote:
Wet nose, wet chin, wet dew lap is all signs of heat stress/ heat stroke. best to bring it inside and let it cool down. usually a good indication of heat stroke is their head is tipped back onto their cxhoulders and they pant hard.
move to a cool shaded area, the frozen bottles help but not enough with out shade, I have also put a fan out to circulate the air, do not let it blow directly on the rabbit.
you can also spritz down their ears with ice water, do not soak the ears , rabbits shed heat by their ears and panting.

all symptoms you have mentioned are not how pasturella will start. BUT this rabbit is now suseptable to it.getting over heated weakens their already weak immune system.
keep an eye on her and keep her shaded, All rabbits need air circulating and shade in this heat.

Any animal you have trewted with wormer shouldnt be eaten, how many days between administering it and the cull?
anything over a day is not advisable.

I would move her in the house but we don't have the air conditioner on, I found a really cool spot on the front porch. It was a good 5-10 cooler than the hutch she was in. She was in the shade but it was just very hot. Thanks for the spritz idea, never heard of that. I culled the sneezer about 3 days after treating with dewormer. Is there a length of time for the dewormer to wear out of the rabbits system? I don't mind wasting one carcass but I treated all my rabbits except the kits, I really hope those are not all going to waste.

Those are also signs that she may have badly aligned front or molar teeth. Have you had her teeth checked? You can do her front ones but the back might need to be done by a vet. You did mention that she was thin and that just may be the problem.

DEFINATELY check the teeth. Even if the front ones look good, often the back teeth form a bridge over the tongue. Sounds to me like malocclusion issue.

Back
Top Bottom