Rabbit with flaky ears

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by xanthin1, Mar 3, 2017.

1. xanthin1

xanthin1 New Egg

Aug 18, 2012
    Hi, anyone ever seen this? We raise meat rabbits for about 2 years now. I have dealt with ear mites before, but there are no crusty scabs in her ear canal. Just weird flaky scales inside her ears (also some minor dandruff like flaker on the fur on her side). I had a rabbit with fur mites a few months ago, which I used ivermectin very successfully to treat, but that rabbit had no contact with this one, and is even in a different cage altogether. Could this also be fur mites? any help would be appreciated. We live in a very rural area with no rabbit vet anywhere close by.[​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Ear Mites---put a few drops of baby oil on this and in the ear. And it will get better in a few days. Untreated---it gets worse and the rabbit dies.

No you do not need to go get high priced ear drops. baby oil, mineral oil will work great.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like ear mites to me too. I would recommend treating with Ivermectin. I've used it on my rabbits for ear mites and fur mites and it seems to work well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I Agree Ivermectin will for sure work(I have been told) if he has some, but as I posted----the poster for sure does not need to go buy a expensive bottle of any thing if he has mineral oil or baby oil. They work perfect----I only been raising rabbits since 1977 and have only ever used what I mentioned---well I did use cooking oil a couple times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by