rabbitries , Please show me yours

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dragonchick, Nov 10, 2009.

1. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    If this has already been covered please direct me to the page/link, Thanks

My son and I were talking a little while ago and we were discussing our food and the lack of diversity we have. I wanted to raise chickens for meat but they really are not cost effective for my particular situation. Its not the money, although that could become a real possibility if the economy doesn't pick up. Most of our meals consist of chicken, pizza, or some type of pasta. I am getting a little bored with my food choices. I don't remember where I saw it but someone somewhere posted a link to processing a rabbit. Now I have had rabbit in the past and I loved it. I think I could do this. I don't think I can process the chickens and would have to have someone else do it for me. My son informed me that he has processed rabbits and would help the first few times. Hes also offered to help me build the cages/hutches/grow outs. I will be starting very small with only 2 does and a buck to see if this is really for me.

iI went on a search of rabbitry plans but suddenly got very confused as to exactly what I need to build. I have the perfect covered location to put the rabbitry, and it can be made pretty much draft free easily. Real pictures are better but if all you have a re the plans you used, that would be great too. I know this isn't a rabbit forum but I see lots of you have them as well as the chickens. Please help a wannabee rabbit raiser our with some rabbitry eye candy. I would also like to see how you have things set up. By your pictures you would be helping teach a complete novice how to make a rabbit hutch for MEAT rabbits. These will not be pets of any sort although I might sell a few for 4-H. I know where I can buy the rabbits so that's all covered. I have a lot of scrap lumber laying around for the building and even have feeders and waters so all I will have to buy is the hardware cloth.

OH yeah, I will still be attempting to hatch a few eggs in the early spring so I haven't given up on the birds. Still gotta have eggs for breakfast.
    Thanks for all your help
    Andi

2. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    I had an amish guy built my rabbitry for me. Its a about 20 foot long little mini barn. It cost me about $2500-$3000 to have it done. Will try to get some pictures uploaed tomorrow. Tha bad thing is the rabbits have done a little bit of damage to the floor. Sometimes they miss the drop pans, and urine guards, and hit the wood floor instead. If you have barn built like that, don't put a wood floor in! Otherwise I love my little barn. I have 3 and six hole stacking cages going down one side, and across the back. The otherside is for my pigeon cages.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Mine is just a simple metal frame with room for 4 30 X 30 cages, and a worm bed underneath

[​IMG]

4. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    I have mine in a metal carport
    http://randtrabbitry.com/Rabbitry.html
    I need to update that pic ive added 8 more doe cages and 9 fryer, grow out cages. For a total of 18 does and 4 bucks

5. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    This is a 10 hole setup that I recently built. It still has some trim work that has to be finished. It has an automatic watering system that will be of little use when the weather gets colder, but it saves a lot of work during the warmer months. I also have cold weather doors which have plexiglass panels in them that I will attach to the hutch when it gets cold enough. I built this setup for under 300.00 with cages and watering system included. A setup like this can produce enough meat to sustain a family very well if the ten holes are managed correctly. I also have another smaller 5 hole version. [​IMG][/img][​IMG][/img]

6. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Nice unit, and chinchillas!

7. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    where r the chins:/[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Top row, center hole has a chin doe. Her litter is on the bottom row on the left. The babies are "Super Chins". I bred the doe to my big NZW herd buck. The kits are enormous for their age and have the type of the NZW but the color of the Chin doe.
    Quote:

9. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    wow what a nice looking setup! My husband is a crack carpenter and could set me up something like this in no time flat. This might be off topic, but can or would someone let me know what is involved in raising meat rabbits in this manner?

I do not know ANYTHING about it.

10. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Mine aren't as new and shiney as some of those posted. cages are all over two years old, and showing some wear. But here is my setup, anyhow. I have a lot more because I also show them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by