Rabbits and chickens housing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jeevesrules, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    Hi!
    Please could everyone list any disadvantages and advantages of housing rabbits an chickens together. [​IMG]

I have thought of a few.
    1.Good: More space for chickens and rabbits
    2.Bad: there May be some diseases??
    3.Good: For some reason my rabbits have a bigger house that my chickens and if they were together the rabbits could sleep on the floor and the chickens would roost above.

Does anyone else do this??

Thanks any advice is greatly appreciated

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't keep rabbits, but there is a blogger that keeps a bunny in hutch with her hens and you might find some answers there:
    hencam

3. chicknbuns

chicknbuns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I keep my 2 rabbits with my chickens and they are fine, except my rabbit eats a ton of the chicken food!!

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have rabbits and chickens. Mine are kept separately though.. I have the rabbits in hutches and cages. My biggest concern would be the chickens attacking newborn bunnies.. or at least scratching through the bunny nests

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feed separation would be a one sided issue - if you raise the chicken coop (maybe a 2 story coop) the you would have a issue of the chickens eating rabit food and producing thin walled eggs.

6. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    would it matter if the chickens ate rabbit food if oyster shell was mixed in both rabbit food and chicken food?

Also both rabbits have been neutered

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by