rabbits and chickens together?????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kindergartenchick, Jun 29, 2008.

1. kindergartenchick

kindergartenchick New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    rockmart georgia
    I recently saw a picture of a chicken run and coop that also had some rabbits. Can the two live together?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I would not want my bunny hopping in chicken poop [​IMG]

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I do not put my bunny in the coop but he does get out once a day and run free with the girls. He loves it. My run doesn't really get that poopy so i don't worry about that. He has his own little hutch in the run. At night i go out and he runs into his hutch.

Here is Columbus with the girls. They leave him alone for the most part. Sometimes he's a stinker and will run at them but at the last minute dart the opposite way.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Cute rabbit! But with the light reflection from the camera it looks like he's eyeing your chickens. I'd watch him if I were you [​IMG]

5. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Year of the Rooster, I think the bunny and that cat are in cahoots.

6. kindergartenchick

Jun 29, 2008
    rockmart georgia
    WOW that rabbit is so cute. i have always wanted another rabbit but i cannot keep it inside. Now that I have a chicken coop and run, I think it may be possible to have both. Do you have only the one rabbit because i wanted to get two. Also, your cat is hilarious!! i have three cats that stay outside and they are now oblivious to the chickens.

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    [​IMG] i didn't even notice the cat until now, thanks 2boxers

8. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:They are fine together. He's out almost nightly and we are usually out there with them. He's never hurt anyone. He's just happy to be out of his hutch. Trust me if i thought he was a danger to my girls he wouldn't be out.

Although yes Spencer that cat thinks our coop is his very own KFC....

As you can see dh made the coop very secure because of the cat. This picture was taken a little while ago and Spencer now doesn't seem as interested as he once was.

kindergartenchick~ We only have one bunny. I got him off freecycle over a year ago. I'm afraid to add another....i worry they may mate or fight.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  9. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Here you can see the bunnies little coop in the right hand side of the picture. It has a little door that opens like a little ramp. That way he can get in and out on his own to eat and drink.

[​IMG]

10. kindergartenchick

Jun 29, 2008
    rockmart georgia
    UH OH!! My husband aint gonna like you one bit when i show him this picture. Now he has no excuse to say no to me about the rabbits. This is going to be so cool. I got my 6 chickens from my classroom. We hatched about 33 eggs during the spring and this year hubby said we could keep some. My para has done it for my class for about 4 years now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by