Rabbits and chickens together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkielover5, Nov 19, 2012.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Hi I was wondering if anyone kept rabbits with chickens? We let our rabbits run around the chicken coop every once in a while and they seem to love it and the chickens don't care either. I'm now building a grow pen and was wondering if my rabbit could permanently be with the chickens?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    oh yes, definitley.....rabbits and chickens get along fine together

3. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    There is a garden store a few towns near me that lets a rabbit play with their chickens and they are fine. I have heard they get along if introduced properly. However, I heard it helps to keep more than one rabbit with chickens so they don't get picked on for being "different".

4. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    The only problem I've had so far is our new peacock doesn't like her so I haven't let her be with the chickens lately. Wouldn't she eat the chicken food? She doesn't like other rabbits already tried with 3 other ones

5. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    DO NOT feed rabbits chicken feed. They are two different animals with two different digestive systems. rabbits are herbivores, chickens are omnivores.Rabbits have complex dietary needs that only their pellets, and hay can provide. Greens are optional, but fruit should be given sometimes to help them digest.

6. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    I know that I've had and bred rabbits for years, I mean that if I kept them together they would be eating each others food, I'm sure rabbit food wouldn't affect the chickens to much but Ive seen my rabbit eating the chicken food sometimes when she's out playing which like you said wouldn't be good for her. So if I can't seperate their food somehow it Probley wouldn't be a good idea to keep them together?

7. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Check out www.hencam.com. She has a rabbit with her chickens - you might find more info on the FAQ, otherwise send an email.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by