Rabbits and chickens?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nikita, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Nikita

Nikita New Egg

Feb 3, 2008
    Hi all, I've just joined after being pointed thisaway from another forum.

I've not got any chickens at the moment but I'm looking at getting some for eggs and meat (probably rescue battery hens for the eggs).

My friend is moving in with me soonish, and she's bringing her two pet rabbits (dwarf lop and netherland), what I'd like to know is if I can keep them with the chickens in a free-range-ish environment?

The area will be roughly 50ft by 20ft, give or take. It's a grassy bit of my garden that doesn't really get used, so I figured I'd put it to good use [​IMG] The rabbits and chickens would be shut in at night (hence free-range-ish!), separately of course!

Could it work? Someone on the other forum suggested disease from the chicken muck might be an issue for the rabbits.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've seen posts on here where they have chickens and rabbits in the same coop and run, so it should work just fine.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Beware of softwood shavings of any kind with rabbits due to respiratory issues. Also if chickens are confined to a 20x50 grassy area it will be bare dirt after awhile. If you have the rabbits on a dirt floor check the perimeter of the coop and run regularly. Rabbits love to burrow and will escape if you are not diligent. If burrows go to close to edge its not a bad idea to keep gravel on hand for a filler. Chickens should also not eat rabbit pellets. I dunno if rabbits will eat layer mash but if they do the calcium is too high.

4. Nikita

Nikita New Egg

Feb 3, 2008
    Quote:Brilliant, thanks. Softwood not an issue - I steer well clear of it having owned small furries myself for a number of years.

Bare earth sounds good to me - that part of the garden is a pain in the hiney to mow anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by