1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbits and flowers!!??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kitty22496, Sep 18, 2016.

1. kitty22496

kitty22496 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    What all flowers are good for rabbits to eat?
    I know they love dandylions but what about stuff like marigolds, violets? Stuff like that.
    A small list would be awesome if it doesn't take to much of your time.
    Thank you!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello! It just so happens, I recently raised 2 baby rabbits, so I kinda know! Here is a list of what I fed them

Dandelion Greens and flowers
    Lambsquarter
    Clover leaves and flowers
    Wood Sorrel

I know that is not much, but it is what I used.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Google "safe plants for rabbits," or poisonous plants for rabbits" or anything along those lines, and you'll find lots of lists. Here's one:
    http://www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/feeding/poisonous-plants.html

If you look at enough lists, you may find the same plant listed as "safe" on one list, and "unsafe" on another. Those that explain why a certain plant is not a good idea are the most helpful. In the list above, Wood Sorrel is listed as toxic. I know this is because it contains Oxalic Acid, but I don't know how much it would take to be harmful, since CuzChickens evidently fed some and the rabbits seem to have suffered no ill effects.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Really?? I just experimented with what I thought they might eat, and they loved it! I figured anything I could find in my non-sprayed yard would be the same as they have in the wild.

5. Silkie2

Silkie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Domestic rabbits are WAY different from wild ones, they won't even breed together. Wild ones know to stay away from poisonus plants, but if you give it directly to the domestic rabbit they will eat it and can get sick.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    True, I guess you should disregard my earlier advice, I raised wild rabbits, and thought I had not though about it, they are alot different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by