Rabbits and tattooing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Jul 8, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I never expected my REW and Broken Chestnut pairing to through two blacks, but it happened. How do I tattoo their ears???

2. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Darker skinned ears I use a colored india ink (usually green it seems to show up better) but I also do my lighter skinned ears in blue ink as a signature as well. Love my bottles of India ink really nice color and spreads on easy with a q-tip if it's really hot though I will mix it with a little Preperation-H (which also helps seal up the holes better and reduces the swelling). Also beforehand clean the ears really well with alcohol and let dry you don't want anything that could cause infection to enter the tattoo holes. Good luck on the tattoos and watch where the veins are avoid the larger ones.

3. debilorrah

Thank you!!!!

4. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    You have to have the tattoo kit and ink for it. You do it in the left ear and gotta make sure you don't hit the big vein. Unless you take them to ARBA shows though you really don't nead to.

5. debilorrah

Quote:[​IMG]

We ONLY take them to ARBA shows, so it is necessary. And lo and behold today the ears are pinker inside. I guess I should wait til they are showable age before I start asking stupid questions.

6. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    It wasn't a stupid question. Also, it's totally common to get self colored rabbits out of Agoutis.

7. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    What breeds do you raise? I have Flemish giants and english spots my mom raises himilayan's and dwarf hotot's[​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Quote:French angoras. And my question is now moot. Their ears are no longer sold black. [​IMG]

9. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    I've always liked the english angoras. One day if i ever have extra room i am going to get one just for fun.

10. debilorrah

Quote:They look like stuffed animals. Their heads are ALOT of work, so be prepared. That is why I chose the french, no head hair to groom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by