Rabbits, chickens, ducks & guinea fowl

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jo-Anne White, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Jo-Anne White

Jo-Anne White Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    I have a very large inclosure on our farm with beautiful shady peach treas & a sunny area towards the back, I built a duck pond & got four ducks later I got a few chickens then I got some rabbits which I kept separately after a few months I put the six does in with the ducks & chooks keeping my buck separate only letting him out when I wanted babies & only for the morning he successfully impregnated all six does & they all had beautiful healthy kits which I left in the inclosure & they grew up with the ducks & chickens who had also by then had little ones, I then put eight guinea fowl eggs under one of my broody chicks & six hatched also having little ones during this time, When my rabbits reached maturity the bucks where separated & a few of the young does where swapped with other farmers in the area. its been almost three years of bliss living together no the odd fight here & there but nothing drastic.

point is I have since heard that this should not be done!!! why not its been working for us & the kids just love going in to feed as at six o clock every evening all are waiting for us to open the gate to be fed they even eat together.

They are all so tame with the interaction from the kids & their school friends its just amazing, but if their is a reason they shouldn't all be together like diseases I would rather separate them we wouldn't want to harm them, but like I said its been almost three years?

Advice would be appreciated[​IMG]

Thank you
    Jo

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If it is working, I don't see why you should change it.

I DO think you should post pictures! It sounds like a very wonderful setup.

3. Jo-Anne White

Jo-Anne White Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Great, will do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by