1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbits, going from indoors to outdoors

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bettacreek, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    So, in the middle of winter, how long should you take and what steps should you take to acclimate them to the outdoors?

2. currycomb

currycomb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    sesser, il
    we have actually just done that with some netherland dwarfs. they were in a heated barn, and now we have them in our barn under a heat lamp. has gotten down to 0 a couple nights. can't wait for the warmer weather, 2 days away!!!

3. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    How did you do it? Did you just toss them outside or did you somehow acclimate them to it?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You have to acclimate them, i'd think. It will be too much of a shock on their systems to be outside in this cold because they havent had all year outside to have their fur get thicker for the winter months... so..its kinda unfair to put them outside right now.... you can put them out in spring though..and let them get acclimated outside all year long for next winter...
    thats what i did for my pigs...i put them outside last spring..so they could handle this winter...

5. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    why do you have to put them outside right now?
    i would wait until it gets a little warmer.

6. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I think putting them outside now would probably be a death sentence. They do not have a winter coat since they have been inside all winter with heat and an artifical lights making their systems think it is summer. Unless you live in southern Florida it would be best to leave them inside until spring and then move them out. I saw your other posts about the BF and his dog. Are you sure he is worth all this trouble? How about telling him his dog needs to move outside? There needs to be give and take on both sides. Not all give on your side and all take on his......

Stepping down from box now.

7. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Actually, the boyfriend had/has no say in it.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The best way to transition animals (especially tender things like rabbits) from indoors to outdoors is to do it in a MILD time of year. Which this is not, especially not *this* year.

You would have a lot lower chance of disastrous outcome if you wait a few months.

If you can't, at least make the outdoors as much like the indoors as possible i.e. insulation, heating, draft-free-ness, and excellent air quality despite the previous three things... and cross your fingers.

Good luck,

Pat

9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Actually if you have a hutch with an enclosed box and put hay in it you can still transition them to the outside. especially if your putting them in a barn.
    Contrary to popular misbelief, rabbits are not nearly as fragile as people would like you to think they are.
    I have raised rabbits for over 20 years, indoors and outdoors and there is little difference in fur thickness.
    They rend to shed out the same amount of fur inside as they do outside.
    Healthy rabbits can be put outside in the winter as long as the above precautions are taken.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats good to know!! Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by