Rabbits, how old

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Heather J, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    When they stop growing? We had someone give us a gray/brown bunny in early July, the idea being that he would make a nice companion for our female black rabbit, but it got super hot, and when i went out to bring them inside, she had died. It was so horrible that our male is now inside full time. Anyway, he was two months old when he came to live with us and has nearly doubled in size since the Fourth. I was told he was a small breed and am starting to wonder if we're going to have to do something about a much bigger cage. At what age do they stop growing?

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Roughly around 6 months(in my own experience with buns) but I have found that the smaller breeds tend to mature (in size)quicker than the larger breeds. I have raised Holland lops, Californias, and Flemish Giants.

3. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Depending on breed will say when they are full grown.

Netherland Dwarfs and Hollands are full grown by 5 months.

French Lops, Flemish between 12 and 18 months before they are fully grown.

Mini Lops and medium sized rabbits are full growqn at 6 to 8 months old

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Thanks, I'll see if I can identify the breed.

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:*Groan* I thought mine we're about done at 5 1/2 months. That explains why the buck is still a chow hog! Teenagers! [​IMG]

6. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:*Groan* I thought mine we're about done at 5 1/2 months. That explains why the buck is still a chow hog! Teenagers! [​IMG]

LOL yeah just teenagers yet, the best is yet to come, the spraying, the obnoxious tweener age lol.
    I love my Flemsih they are kin to large dogs with out all the barking.
    I just lost my 5 year old Buck The Babe recently , I was heartbroken, my husband taught him to sit pretty and beg for treats.
    He is dearly missed.
    His picture is in the Bunny photo thread,
    Just a sweet heart.

If you posst up some pictures I can probly tell you what they might be for breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by