1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbits may be sick

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kneedles, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    At least two of my three rabbits currently have large, hardened lumps of their droppings surrounding their rears. One of my late rabbits had the same problem, but I thought that it was because she was being fed fruit. The rabbits in question are only fed pellet mixes and green vegetables, so I do not know why this is happening to them. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What kind of green vegetables are you giving them? Certain veggies, or too much veggies can cause soft stool. Do they have any other signs that lead you to think there may be an illness? Also, are the feces normal dark brown/black?

At the moment, I would cut back or cut out the greens, continue feeding pellets (in an appropriate amount for the size bunnies you have) and give them plenty of Timothy hay. You can also mix in a handful of orchard grass during the day as well, but most of the hay should be Timothy.

Also, clean up their rear ends as best you can with warm water or baby wipes and then monitor them to see if it improves with the diet change.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do the rabbits have access to the ground and are you currently worming them? How is their physical appearance? Under/over weight? Bloated? It could be possible you may need to start your rabbits on a wormer regimen but I would try the change in diet first.

4. Kneedles

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Apparently, they are being given carrots and cabbages, but I only ever feed them pellets. The droppings look normal to me, but I believe that they have had odd-looking droppings in the past. I am not sure if there are other signs that indicate whether or not they are sick; they are not very active, but this could be out of laziness or boredom just as easily as it could be out of sickness.

My rabbits share one food bowl between them (and my hen), so I do not think that I am overfeeding them. Though I have seen them eating hay, I am not sure if they like it very much. I mainly use it for their bedding.

My rabbits are kept outdoors in a small enclosure, and so are probably more susceptible to sickness than if they were kept inside.

5. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Are the droppings just soft stools, or are they cecal pellets? Fresh cecal pellets look like clusters of grapes or blackberries and often have a strong odor.

If it's soft droppings, then I would stop the green veggies.
    If it's cecal pellets, then I would stop or cut way back on the pellets and maybe the veggies too.
    Either way, I would try to get the rabbits to eat more hay. Hay is amazing at fixing intestinal issues.

Also... I would not recommend cabbage for rabbits. It really tends to make their tummies upset. That may be the whole problem right there.
    And of course, carrots should be limited.

Do you have plantain weed growing in your yard? Try swapping the cabbage for that (unless, of course, you have pesticides on your lawn). Rabbits like it, and it's supposed to be very good for their digestive systems.

6. Kneedles

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Two of my rabbits look overweight in appearance, but this could be because it is winter where I live, meaning that they have not been shedding any fur.

7. Kneedles

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I know what they look like; I do not think that I have seen any recently.

I tend to limit the amount of hay that I give my rabbits, due to the fact that I am only occasionally able to get more for them.

I was not the one feeding them cabbage, but I have made sure that it will not happen anymore. I have not fed them any carrots in a long time.

I will try to feed them more weeds. Thank you for your time.

8. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.

Okay. I understand about the hay. I didn't used to feed hay because of the expense, but at least one of my rabbits has a sensitive stomach and needs hay.

I hope that you can find the weeds where you live. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Thornhill Farms

Thornhill Farms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Cottontown, TN
    I feed carrots and kale regularly to mine as they share a house with a guinea pig. Guinea pigs need tons of vitamin C in there diet and it hasnt seemed to bother them. So kale may be a good option. I buy mine at the grocery store but you can grow it as well.

10. not sure what you mean by hardened lumps of their droppings surroundings their ears. I had a rabbit that had a tumor grow on her Mouth. I thought it was dropings or soemthing like that on her mouth area Took her to the Vet and she was treated and it was removed it was a Cancerous growth. She was loved and brought inside and fed like a queen. She passed away the next Spring when Daughter and I were sleeping on the enclosed porch to be with her. She had a loving warm winter and seemed to be getting better but that was not the case. I at the time had used a potent spray for bugs and misquotoes around areas that she might have been into when let out on her leash. Either that caused her cancer or she had eaten a can of Iams Cat food I set out for the cat, (the cat did not eat it) at the time there were cats dropping dead from the import food from China. I am not sure which one caused her Cancerous Growth but I am fairly certain it was one or the other. I have since stopped using any form of sprays in my grass and shrub areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by