rabbits please help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mulelover1999, Oct 15, 2012.

1. mulelover1999

mulelover1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2012
    I wanted to know if rabbits are a good business. If so what is a good breed? What do I need to know any and all information needed. Please i want a good pet but also need to earn afew extra bucks.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
  2. BeeKeepin

BeeKeepin New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    There are some things to consider before raising rabbits with the expectation of showing profit. The majority of rabbits that are bread with profit in mind are for meat (market) and to a lesser degree, to provide show quality bunnies. Yes, there are other reasons, but I'm just going to stick to these two.

Market rabbits do have the potential for profit, if you have a market for them. They aren't like a calf or hog: you cant buy them young, feed and grow them, and then sell them. You will have to have at minimum a quality buck and doe to breed your own. Due to USDA regulations, trying to butcher them and sell the meat is cost prohibitive; you would typically sell them live. There are a lot of other aspects, and I'm happy to answer them for you if this is some thing you want to still explore.

The other way to make money with rabbits is to breed and sell show quality bunnies. Easier said than done. Yes, a rare show quality rabbit can sell for a lot (I still can't believe how much my daughters broken-black Netherlands Dwarf buck cost), but many other kits were born prior to these show quality ones. You have to find a home for those, or plan on feeding a lot of rabbits. If you go this route, plan on attending a lot of ARBA shows, too in order to get your name out.

All of this being said, I really don't want to discourage you from rabbits; they are GREAT. I just want you to have a good understanding of what you are getting into. My daughter (who is only one year older than you) has show bunnies and raises market rabbits. At your age, more than anything else I would STRONGLY encourage you to join 4H. Find a good club that is very active- even if you have to drive a little more. It will make all of the difference in the world. Both of my kids are very active in our club. Feel free to post other questions or send a PM. If you want another kids perspective, my daughter would be happy to answer too. Good luck either way!
    -Kevin

1 person likes this.
  3. mulelover1999

Aug 13, 2012
    In 4h can you pick something that focuses on oust rabbits and you have to breed and raise them or do you just do they just do a class that covers everything?

4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

In 4-H, you generally select a "project" for your area of focus. Your project can be rabbits, or plants, or raising beef calves... It just depends. Generally, your local 4-H club will have a 4-H leader for rabbits and cavies, poultry, cattle, sheep and goats. Usually these are adults who have experience or expertize, or who have volunteered to make sure the 4-H members have the education and resources they need to find a project (animal), properly take care of it, and show it. It's a lot of fun, you will make a lot of good friends and get to go to a lot of shows and events, I suggest you join!

5. mulelover1999

Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks so much but how do you join?

6. BeeKeepin

BeeKeepin New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    Contact your local county extension service. Typically, they are in charge of the 4H program for that county. One point to clarify. There are two types of 4H clubs- general clubs that have multiple project areas, and specialty clubs that focus on one type of project. Either way, you will need to find one that has rabbits as a project area. Your extension service should be able to tell you if there is one that is near you. Using our county as an example, there are a couple different clubs that just do horse projects, one that just does shooting sports, and a handful of smaller ones that cover a couple project areas (for example poultry, rabbits and goats). Our club has over a dozen project areas- some with only a couple kids, some with a 15-20. You will see there can be a lot of variation, even in one county. I would suggest find a couple clubs that show rabbits and go to a meeting. Fine one that suits what you want to do, and has kids that share your interest!
    -Kevin

7. mulelover1999

Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by