1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbits with diarrhea.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by taraann81, Dec 8, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I recently bought some new hay for my pregnant goat its 90% alfalfa and 10% timothy. I have heard that alfalfa is good for rabbits under 6 months of age and lactating females but not for non breeding adults. So The day before yesterday I gave all the young kits(ranging in age from 6weeks to 4 months in age) a small amount of alfalfa along with their timothy...no problems. Yesterday again I gave them a small amount of the alfalfa along with their timothy.

This morning I noted 3 of the 5 had diarrhea including some stuck to their fur around their genitals.

Do you think the change in hay caused this problem?

I removed their alfalfa and just gave them their timothy, I am wondering if i should also remove their pellets for the day.

Also I thought it was a little weird that the 3 affected buns were all lionheads(different ages unrelated) the two that were also eating the hay are not lionheads. I wonder if the lionheads have a more delicate digestive tract...who knows.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I know alfalfa hay is supposed to be good for young rabbits, so not long after I got in to rabbits, I gave the little ones some alfalfa. Every last one of them got the runs. I haven't fed it since. I think in combination with their pellets, which are also alfalfa based, the hay is just too rich.

Stick with grass hay from now on and you should be okay. :)

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think in combination with their pellets, which are also alfalfa based, the hay is just too rich.

I think that's that right answer.
    Also, rapid diet changes can cause problems.
    It may be better to mix the alfalfa with the timothy​

4. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:I think that's that right answer.
    It may be better to mix the alfalfa with the timothy

That is what I did. I had mentioned it in my first post saying that I gave them a small amount of alfalfa along with their timothy. But apparently too much [​IMG] I think I'll just keep the alfalfa for the goats! The rabbits can have the grass hay. Its cheaper anyways and I'm surprised how much hay they go through!

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I think that's that right answer.
    It may be better to mix the alfalfa with the timothy

That is what I did. I had mentioned it in my first post saying that I gave them a small amount of alfalfa along with their timothy. But apparently too much [​IMG] I think I'll just keep the alfalfa for the goats! The rabbits can have the grass hay. Its cheaper anyways and I'm surprised how much hay they go through!

I gave all the young kits(ranging in age from 6weeks to 4 months in age) a small amount of alfalfa along with their timothy...no problems. Yesterday again I gave them a small amount of the alfalfa along with their timothy.

This morning I noted 3 of the 5 had diarrhea including some stuck to their fur around their genitals

She didn't give them pure alfalfa she mixed it with Timothy, which under normal circumstances would be fine.
    alfalfa is very rich as stated in other threads, and really shouldnt be fed out to rabbits, as they get it in their feed. too much alfalfa is too rich a diet for rabbits. they have a hard time processing it when there is an over abundance of it in their diet, resulting in the runny poos.

Sweet meadow hay , timothy hay, grass hays are all good for babys as well as pregnant and lactating does.
    If you want to add fiber or more variety, plain simple rolled oats, just a pinch over their grain every few days, ( not daily) will help her along and will also help her produce rich milk for the kits.​

6. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks Gypsy. Last night (after removing the alfalfa in the morning) I noticed at least one of the rabbits stools were formed again. I guess that must have been the problem.

It was a bit of a scare at first, but they seem to be doing okay.

Thanks everyone.

7. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    that's just gross...[​IMG]
    lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by