rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by joannamarie, Jul 9, 2007.

1. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    i have a male rabbit that has so far been on his own can i put another one in when i asked the pet shop they said no that they would fight. but he is allways trying to play with the dog running round in circles and running up and down he seems to need a playmate.

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    All of our rabbits stay in separate cages. They are only together while mating, & then only for a few minutes & supervised at all times.

If you put another male in with him, one may end up being killed. If you put a female in with him, he will breed her, then you will have to put her in a different pen anyway. If we leave our females with our males too long while breeding, they usually end up fighting. Even if you put a spayed female in with him, they will probably fight, resulting in a large vet bill.

In my opinion the only way to keep 2 rabbits together is to get them young, get them spayed/neutered, & give them lots of room to be able to get away from each other. Even then, there may be fights & might have to be in different pens.

Jean

3. joannamarie

Jun 17, 2007
    rafter of 7 paint horses, thats a shame is there any other animals that would get along good with another rabbit or his he destined to stay alone and to carry on trying to play with the uninterested dogs

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Give him wooden toys to play with & chew on. You can buy the ones made for parrots, only do not get ones with bells on. He may be haivng a good time playing with the dog, even if the dog doesn't seem interested. Just watch them, dogs do seem to like rabbits, not in a good way either.

Give him hay every day, too.

You may have to be his playmate, they love attention & make great pets.

I don't know of any animal to put with your rabbit. Sorry.

Jean

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The House Rabbit Society has a lot of great information on rabbits, including information on bonding and neutering/spaying. They are geared towards indoor rabbits, but all of the diet, medical and behavioral information there is wonderful for outdoor rabbits, too.

http://www.rabbit.org/

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Rabbits can be very social if raised together when young, but if you put 2 adults together, they will fight and may even kill each other. Rabbits like to play with toys.

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    How old is your rabbit joannamarie and what breed is he? An adult male that is sexually mature will fight with another rabbit, or harass it if its a female. If your rabbit is still young get him neutered and find him a younger female rabbit that is spayed to be his playmate. Rabbits are highly social in the wild and live in "warrens" with several other rabbits, some warrens even have several hundred.

8. joannamarie

Jun 17, 2007
    thanks picco, he is about 2yrs old now, that is a good idea to have him neuterd so i can add a female rabbit, you mentioned a spayed female is that absolutly necessary if the male is to be neutered.

9. joannamarie

Jun 17, 2007
    picco, oh i forgot he is an albino rabbit thats all i know white with red eyes

10. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Joannamarie, I have a spayed male rabbit who has 2 unspayed daughters to play with, they do however try to mate him but give up after a while.
    I havent seen any bad fights yet, just a couple of chase and biffs between the girls.
    I did have 2 boys (brothers ) who tried to kill each other until I pulled them apart and took them to the vet for stitches then spaying, cost heaps. After spaying, they still wanted to fight so I sold 1 male and female to a nice family.
    I now have peace in the garden.
    I would spay yours or you can try a guinea pig/hampster as a friend, they get on really well!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by