Rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickfever, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    The kids got me a rabbit for Mother's Day and after moving him/her around for the past 2 months (to accommodate chicks, everything has been moved around here), he/she is finally in a pen that doesn't have a floor. Now in the past, it's been my experience that if the bottom of the cage touches the ground, the rabbit doesn't live long. Is this true for all rabbits or have I had bad luck? Do I need to elevate it off the ground? I saw someone had a run like thing for their rabbits earlier and I'd like to do that.....finding the time is my problem.

Thanks!

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

We have rabbits both on the ground and in cages lifted off the ground...
    Both are fine...Haven't had any problems with any dying...
    but I learned from exsperience to make sure to put something down that they can't dig out of....
    We have the side of the garage where the rabbits are...They did wonderfully then one day one dug out....So after 2 hours trying to catch the rabbit I learned....We rolled fencing out and laid that flat on the ground...This way they can still run around and do there stuff. But they can't dig out....

Best of luck...
    Shawna

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Rabbits are animals that like to live in burrows, so yes it will dig out. Also make sure that when the pen is elevated that the wiring or whatever material you use for the bottom of the cage is strong enough that a dog or other predator can not rip through it or eat off the bunnies feet. Should be some type of material that the droppings can fall through. You can put in a litter box too, that helps.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  4. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Thank you both. We're working on a chicken pen today and then I'll be working on something new for my rabbit Thursday. I'm sure he/she can't wait [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by