1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabid fox vs barn cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Brucepierce, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Brucepierce

Brucepierce Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    So we had what we believe was a rabid fox checking out my neighbors coop the same day my cat was last seen...he was a very savvy outdoor male house cat, great at hunting...
    But the fox looked kind of mangy and very hungry, is it likely my boy became prey?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fox will kill and eat cats. If desperate enough the fox may have taken your cat.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A rabid fox will likely not kill or eat anything, at least not after it becomes symptomatic or starts displaying signs of rabies.
    A hungry, mangy, desperate, fox however is another matter. Both foxes, coyotes, and hawks have a taste for pet cats.

BTY, what sex and how old is the cat in question? Oops, what I meant to ask is has your tom cat been neutered?
    If he is an intact male cat he is more likely off somewhere tom catting, and he'll be home by and by.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    In-tack males are more likely to be taken by bobcats around my place, foxes,coons,possums and cats get along OK even when eating.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bobcats and coyotes in my experience actively hunt cats. Fox only do so if desperate.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Just curious - what lead you to believe the fox is rabid?

7. Brucepierce

Brucepierce Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    The fox was just mangy looking...it's fur was not normal , it seemed a bit "patchy"... And it was mid day...so all us suburb type folk immediately go to "rabid"....it could have been down on his luck...the cat was a 2yr old neutered male...came home every morning to lay in my window and soak up some sun and sleep for a bunch of hours then out for the night...any weather. The cat never missed a day of coming home to sleep...it's been almost a month now that he's been missing. Thaks for your comments.
    Bruce

8. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Mangy-looking fox probably has...mange which is caused by mites not rabies. Coming around during the day is also no diagnosis of rabies.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Agreed - could be it was out during the day because it was sick - with mange. (It's quite common in fox and coyotes around here.) It was quite possibly looking for an easy meal, or looking for food without having to deal with competition.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In my opinion the main reason that cats are said to have 9 lives is because they so often turn up again after they have been given up for dead.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by