1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabid raccoon? update WARNIN GRAPHIC pic

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dadsdeercamp, Mar 29, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    my kids where out playing and this raccoon came up on them. it also growled its teeth at them and my kids told us it was foaming at the mouth. so we put it out of his misery.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    call police and get them to get animal control to test it. If it did have rabies there might be more. scary for sure.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Sounds sick, for sure. Rabies, or maybe distemper.

4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I called animal control about the one in my yard, but they didn't care. Later I told my vet (after I buried it) and she said whenever that happens, you have to call the health dept. Apparently they are the ones who document, follow up, and test these cases. I didn't know that - I figured all these govt. offices knew what to do. Surely animal control would have told me who to call, right? But, no - - - -- hey, I'm only the citizen who hopes SOMEBODY knows what to do! [​IMG]

5. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    will call around in the morning to find out what to do. i think they test the brain. but that has about 20 .177 cal pellets in it.

6. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    next time use a .22, Remington Subsonic is good ammunition, it's a standard-velocity round with a hollow point, not too noisy out of a standard rifle barrel and does the job.

And, I think rabies may be "reportable" which means they have to report animals with it, they test the brain.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope it didn't make actual contact with your kids, just in case it had rabies.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many municipalities, mine included, will only test animals that have had actual contact with humans or pets. Sounds like rabies or distemper. Be cautious. When one animal is infected in an area there are generally more.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Any time I kill an animal that was acting strange like that I am very careful to bury it deep then disinfect anything that came into contact with it. Over the years we've had two coons that acted completely out of the ordinary (for local coons) and there have been problems with rabid foxes only a few miles away. Doesn't pay to take any chances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by