Rabidly Researching In Indiana--hello!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Socknitster, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Socknitster

Socknitster New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Hi, I'm Jen. I'm in the "researching like crazy before diving in" phase of chicken ownership. So, we don't have any chickens yet. We do have a dog (yellow lab) and a cat and two small boys. I really want to build a chicken coop that looks as cool as the coops in Chris Gleason's book.

My biggest question thus far is this: the weather in Indiana swings from one extreme to another. I know that certain breeds can take cold winters better than others and I will certainly be steering toward those, but the chicken coop designs in the books that I've read don't mention insulating the coops at all and in fact often show them with big openings!

I've seen some references to maybe heating with a lightbulb or other devices in the winter or letting deep compost build up and create heat in the bottom of the coop, but I think it makes more sense to build it with insulation and a couple of windows (covered with hardware cloth) that can opened in summer and closed in winter. Doesn't that seem more environmentally sound and comfortable for the birds? I guess I can bring the birds into the garage on the inevitably cold days that we always get a few times each winter, but I would prefer to know that they are snug in a well-built coop. Any thoughts about this will be welcome.

I'm itching to draw up a plan and get some lumber! But I'm forcing myself to learn as much as I can beforehand! I'm assuming that we should wait until next spring to get chicks? Isn't it too late in the season to get chicks now? So, I've got lots of time to figure everything out and get started.

I'm also an avid knitter, both by hand and machine, and I like to make soap and quilts. My kids and pets keep me pretty busy but I can't wait to add some chicks to our family next spring!

Sincerely,

Jen in Indiana

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi good luck [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hello Fellow Hoosier, and Welcome! We did exactly what you described...lol. Insulation plus windows. Just like with any other animals, pets or livestock, folks have varied opinions about their housing and care - so you do what works for you and your view of your animals...and sometimes what your money allows.
    Not sure what area of IN you're in, but we get horrible humidity down in my area, so I WISH I had planned for MORE windows or vents. The thing is, you can always cover things up in winter, but you can't magically make any more openings appear in the heat of summer, so plan for ample ventilation (windows and otherwise). Even just framed/hardware clothed windows (not 'real' windows) can be covered with lexan or plexiglass in winter. I do find that the insulation allows the morning cool to last longer into the heat of the day...plus the obvious benefit in winter time.
    And yes, you can get chicks into the fall... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Socknitster

Socknitster New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Ddawn,

Thanks for the link to that thought provoking article. We have a small garden shed and I'm thinking of sectioning off part of it, insulating that and using it as a coop. When I looked in the small coop plan section, there were a few done like this. I'm thinking it could save us some lumber, especially since there is a privacy fence behind it so 2 sides of the run would be already there. Thinking and planning sure is a LOT of fun! Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! It is much appreciated!

Jen in IN

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by