Rabies reminder

Folly's place

Addict
12 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
I was very sad to see the news report today; a six year old boy died of rabies in Florida, after an encounter with a bat. So sad, and a reminder to everyone that it's wise to be careful out there!
He didn't get vaccinated after exposure, and once symptoms develop, it's too late.
We all need to keep our pets vaccinated, and be careful with the wildlife, and get help if there's a possible exposure.
Something like 50,000 people die of rabies in the world every year, mostly in Africa, mostly from dog bites. Awful!
Mary

That's awful and a worthy reminder here where predators which are rabies vector species, are often dealt with.

In addition to rabies, common wildlife can harbor other threats.
-Opossum carry a very dangerous horse disease.
-Raccoons carry raccoon round worm. I'm not an authority but this is deadly to humans, harmless to them, iirc.

Be careful out there!

Possums carry a disease that is dangerous to horses, Earthworms, slugs, and other critters infect poultry with worm eggs, skunks are serious sources of Rabies. I had an old ancestor who died when I was a little bitty boy who told me that the only two things he would never forget was watching his baby sister die from "hydrophobia" and the other was seeing 3 men lynched because they murdered his father. Don't paroll any raccoons, the life you save may be your own childrens'

This baby was attacked in her own bed by a hungry Raccoon.
raccoon attacks infant.jpg

Possums carry a disease that is dangerous to horses, Earthworms, slugs, and other critters infect poultry with worm eggs, skunks are serious sources of Rabies. I had an old ancestor who died when I was a little bitty boy who told me that the only two things he would never forget was watching his baby sister die from "hydrophobia" and the other was seeing 3 men lynched because they murdered his father. Don't paroll any raccoons, the life you save may be your own childrens'

This baby was attacked in her own bed by a hungry Raccoon.
View attachment 1237539
Oh my gosh. That is so sad!

Back
Top Bottom