Rabies?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rancher hicks, Jun 14, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I had a coon attack and one chicken has a neck wound pretty bad but she's
    still alive and I've seen her eat bread and she pooped on my shoe while I was treating her w/ some left over amoxicillan from our cat but that's another story, it was pretty recent. And spraying neosporin on the wounds. The neck wound is pretty gross looking.
    3days now. She's started to roost at night, and she talks to me alittle though she a cuckoo marans so not to friendly. She is of course seperated away from the others, I have her in a pen in a room off the back of our house.
    Anyhow my daughter mentioned the R word and now I'm concerned. I'm not completely sure how she got wounded. I do know that 3 of the four killed got killed in the crush of the panic. Much the way people do when locked in a burning building. At least I think so. I didn't notice any wounds on them and one was warm when I got to the coop and the coon was working on one in the corner.
    Anyhow should I be concerned and how long should I wait if at all? Should I just cull her? I expect I could get someone to do it for me. @#$%%^&&&% coons.

2. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Unless the coon was attacking during the day and looked rabid I would think the hen will be ok and you are treating her sore neck. Neosporin works wonders.

Wounds, even awful looking ones, in chickens tend to heal fine over time. I would not cull her just for that.

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I don't believe birds can get rabies. Their body temp is too high.

4. bluie

bluie Songster

Aug 18, 2007
    I think rabies only affects mammals.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  6. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    birds can't get rabies but if there is saliva from a rabid raccoon you could get it if you get the saliva in an open cut, eyes, mouth, nose. I would wear gloves while handling her, especially if you have a cut on your hands, wash your hands thoroughly afterward and make sure not to touch your eyes or mouth. If she has been washed clean in that area the risks would be very low anyway. I see no reason to cull.

7. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    this is according to American Veterinary Medical Association:

Only mammals can get rabies;
    birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians
    do not. Most cases of rabies occur in
    wild animals — mainly skunks, raccoons,
    bats, coyotes, and foxes. In recent years,
    cats have become the most common
    domestic animal infected with rabies. This
    is because many cat owners do not vaccinate
    their cats before the cats are exposed to rabid
    wildlife outdoors. Rabies also occurs in dogs
    and cattle in significant numbers and, while
    not as common, has been diagnosed in horses, goats, sheep,
    swine and ferrets.

So the chicken can't be a carrier, you could only get it though saliva left on her if the raccoon was rabid.

8. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    ~

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks everyone, you've put my mind at rest, I'll tell her (the chicken) what you said. I'm sure she'll be relieved too. Yes I talk to her, she's by herself right now so I have a captive audience. She does make noises which I take to mean "tell me more" as opposed to "shut up and get me more bread". [​IMG] Love ya

10. SOchick

SOchick Songster

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    If you haven't already, catch the raccoon, take it to your local animal control and ask that it be sent to be tested. If you kill it first, DO NOT shoot it in the head, they won't be able to test it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: