Rabies

DancesWithWolves

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Heres the deal: My dog has been acting very strangely for the past few days, drooling, shyness, loss of apetite, sleeping constantly, staring into space, and the other day i ran to get the phone and she jumped but and started barking ad growling at me. I think it might be rabies bcause we had a racoon in our area a few weeks ago and she had strange redish marks on he chest that looked like 4 mosquito bites but didn't look like puncture wounds. do u think this could be rabies??? my parents don't think it is but yesterday my dad was bitten by this dog when he was playing with her, and he still dosn't believe me. is there anything i can do? i am worried sick about the dog and about my dad and the whole family. please help!!!!!
barnie.gif

ok she threw up now lol she's ok.....

Last edited:
Did the dog break the skin on your dad? You NEED to take the dog to the vet. If it is rabies, there is nothing you can do. She will have to be put down. Your dad needs the diagnosis of rabies to know if he needs to get the shots that will save his life.

Quote:
Yikes! Thats not something to mess around with. The dog either needs to be quarantined for 10 days or you can take it to the vet and they can test the dog. (the dog will have to be euthanized to do the test)

Better safe than sorry, especially if your dad was bitten.

it was only like a scrape idk if that is technically breaking the skin....but my parents won't believe me...they're just like "well theres no bite marks..maybe its just a phase" its so anoyyinh cuz i love my puupy and she needs help and so does my dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds to me like there is a problem. whether rabies or not. sounds like the dog needs to get to a vet and be checked out. before it gets sicker or before it really hurts someone. can you take the dog, or are you too young to drive?

First, your dad needs to get taken care of and if that is a course of anti-rabies shots, then that is what he needs to do - I think I worded that right grammatically
The rabies virus does not need to break skin to infect a human
Second, your pup needs to get to a vet to find out what's going on

Can you call your vet and explain the situation. Or call animal control?

Something even as small as a scrape or scratch is all that needs to happen to transmit rabies to another animal or person.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom