Rabies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gila_dog, May 6, 2008.

1. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    We are having a rabies epidemic here in SW NM and SE AZ. It's primarily in the foxes, but other critters (coyotes, skunks, bobcats, mountain lions, and bats) have shown up with it. So far this year the Forest Service in our area has killed 7 rabid foxes, and residents have killed at least that many more. Rabies vaccinations for dogs, cats, horses, goats, etc are very important. Several tourists and campers have been bitten. I've heard of a family in the area who are all undergoing rabies treatment because their dog, who hadn't been vaccinated, was bitten by a rabid fox.

Around here if a wild animal isn't disappearing when you see it, it's probably rabid. Rabid animals don't act normal. They show no fear of humans or dogs, and may even attack. Having the means, the ability, and the will, to shoot a rabid animal isn't just some rambo thing here. It's a necessity.

2. They have had a lot of rabid skunks in middle Tennessee, that is why I never miss the rabies clinic, and have everybody vaccinated. It's for my protection as well as their own. marrie

3. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Our local drug store sells rabie vaccines , they very inexpensive for those with lots of pets or on fixed incomes.
    The only catch is if your pet bites someone you don't have the documented proof of vacination that you get from your vet. But this is cost effective way to protect your pets from wild animals.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Compared to what it could cost if your dog, cat, etc isn't vaccinated. $18 at the vet isn't a bad price. NC requires the shot be given at a vet/vet clinic/shot fair

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We're having quite a few rabid raccoons in our county lately. I think it's up to eight cases now. Scary. I'd never allow a dog of mine to go unvaccinated out here in the woods.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

That's scary- I heard once (and have no documentation to back it up whatsoever so please correct me if I am wrong) that up until recently there has been only one documented case of rabies west of the Mississippi. Guess it's found it's way here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by