Rabun County, GA Lakemont

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aprilparker51, Jan 19, 2017.

1. aprilparker51

aprilparker51 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Waiting for the "zoning office" to call me back, but by the tone of the young lady on the phone I may be in for a fight, so I wanted to be prepared. Does anyone have an arsenal I can throw their way? My son is 7, autistic, and has recently found the love, and peace of chickens after visiting my brothers KY farm over the holidays, so I plan to to get him 4-6 hens and a coop so he can go collect the"blues and browns from the golden fluffy butted chicks"and watch him light up like the sun. I own 1.89 acres, no neighbors to speak of, 1/4 cleared, the neighbor on the next bit of land has horses, but I didn't like the tone in the zoning ladies voice. Please can someone help?
    Sincerely, April

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
  3. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome Glad you joined us!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, aprilparker51, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community but sorry you are having to fight the system simply in order to have a few chickens. If I was in your shoes I would contact some of my Georgia chicken owning neighbors and see if you all can band together. In the link below find the GA thread and introduce yourself and tell them your predicament - a local may be able to point you in the right direction. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Additionally, I am wondering about something. As your son carries a diagnosis of autism, I wonder if a chicken(s) could be declared an assertive device or a therapy animal under the ADA. With your doctor's backing it might be worth a shot....and the ADA would trump local and city ordinances. Just a thought. I sure hope it works out for you - chickens have some serious therapeutic powers. Good luck!!

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

6. aprilparker51

aprilparker51 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    TheKindaFarmGal, Yea thats him. He's a ham, he loves the camera and it loves him lol character and 1/2 that is! If he has his way I'll have a farm in no time flat!

[​IMG]

7. aprilparker51

aprilparker51 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I finally got a call back, from an older gentleman (super nice old man), said we could have as many chickens as we wanted, that we were zoned "agriculture"...so I'll have to look up exactly what that means but we are in the clear!

Now since I live on the edge of a National forest and we do have a lot of Black Bears, foxes, etc. in the predator department I want to order a substantial coop- I am not Bob the builder...more of a cross between Tool time Tim and I love Lucy- I was looking at the Urban Coop Company for a coop built to last and with built in safety latches to help me keep & lil' man from accidentally forgetting to latch the egg door etc shut. They are expensive, yes. They do give a military discount, 5% that helps. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
    http://urbancoopcompany.com/product/round-top-backyard-chicken-coop/#coop-only

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

:celebrate That's wonderful news! :ya

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe

[​IMG]

A boy after my own heart! [​IMG]

That's wonderful you can get chickens! So happy it seems to have turned out well. The Learning Center has tons of great info to start you off on your chicken journey, and of course the forums are overflowing with people more than willing to help. Hope you enjoy your time here at BYC!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I am happy the news is good! Congratulations! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by