Raccoon Abilities

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by enggass, Aug 9, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Can raccoons get through or break through 2"x4" welded fencing? I know that it is advised to have smaller such as 1/2" Hardware cloth on the lower tier because coons can reach through and grab, but I am wondering about there ability to climb and then break through 2"x4" fencing higher up. I am going to be leaving for 3 days and my birds need access to their 6'x9' run for food and water. It is locked down tight with 1/2" cloth and 2"x4" cloth higher up. Roof paneling on top. All eaves covered...

My other younger birds are in a larger new coop with food and water and will stay in there for the 3 days. Their run is not secure.

What can a coon do?

2. lilhens

lilhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    They will most defiantly reach through it and pull your chicken through it. Not safe.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

No, they are very strong, but not strong enough to break thru livestock fencing. But not sure if that is the same thing that your talking about, without pics. However, as above poster stated, they can for sure reach thru. If your chickens are trained to go into the coop at night by themselves then that solves a lot of the problem. But if the younger birds stay out in the run and sleep they might roost in a safe unreachable spot, but they may get close to the fence and get grabbed also.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Haven't had a lot of coon problems but possums have torn welded wire apart here. I don't think modern welded wire is as strong as when I was a kid.
    A possum tore a havahart apart to escape. Incredible strength and I believe coons are at least as strong.

6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    They do go in the coop at night. Mature birds... BUT, they also will come out fairly early in the AM. Possibly before raccoon bedtime 4-5ish am... That is the time I am worried about.
    Where the birds are in the run they are completely surrounded by 1/2" hardware cloth. The 2"x4" fencing I got at Lowes: http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_92258-307-70948_0__?productId=1112433&Ntt=welded+fencing&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dwelded%2Bfencing&facetInfo=
    14gauge
    Welded Wire - I have that everywhere from 3' up to the roof.

7. colebarnhart

Quote:I think it sounds pretty good and secure and they should be safe.

{quote} "Haven't had a lot of coon problems but possums have torn welded wire apart here. I don't think modern welded wire is as strong as when I was a kid. A possum tore a havahart apart to escape. Incredible strength and I believe coons are at least as strong."

Raccoons are way stronger that possiums. But as someone once posted on here a predator looking for a meal will only put forth so much effort, however, a caged animal will work way harder to escape and save it's own life.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They way I gauge my wire strength is if I can pop the welds, they probably can too. I'm 5'7" about 130lbs, so I may be giving them a little too much credit, but they are some strong little critters. I think if they can get their little hands inside, there's a chance they can rip the wire. I'm a worry wart though. See if you can stretch or rip a piece with your own hands, and judge from there. Good luck!

9. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Thanks. That is what I was thinking I would do. If I can't rip it apart, I doubt they can...

10. colebarnhart

Just looked at your coop/run on your BYC page and I think it looks great and see the hardware cloth vs welded wire. A raccoon could get up on the roof and reach thru possibly, but who knows, I think it looks very safe, but just when you think that and let your gaurd down, Whammo!!! Rats climb up the hardware cloth and thru the welded wire and chew the faces off your birds as they sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by