Raccoon almost got my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Searsmom, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Searsmom

Searsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Dandridge, TN
    Due to unfortunate circumstance, I was late closing them up. I was missing one. I found him pulled through the outer fence, which is dog proof for daytime activity. I thought he was dead. My husband helped me pull him back through the fence once we noticed him breathing.

We brought him inside without much hope, as his neck was limp, but he was weakly paddling his feet. He lost one eye and I can't determine how bad the damage is to his neck internally, but he was making a rattling gurgling sound when breathing. There was blood coming out his nostrils. I expected him to die overnight.

He has survived 3 days on water mixed with egg yolk. He quacks when I disturb him and moves as far away as possible, poops bright green, and sleeps a lot. Not eating solid food. His breathing is sometimes loud but no longer rattly.

Should I be worried about the lack of solid food? Thoughts?

Ducks are amazing at recovering, but I don't want him to starve because of my ignorance.

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm so glad he is alive. Make sure he gets vitamins and electrolytes in his water. You can try tube feeding him some food mix to get him the proper nutrients, but solid food isn't necessary if he is getting all the vitamins and minerals and protein he needs.
    Antibiotics may prevent pneumonia if the lungs were injured at all during the attack.

I hope he gets better soon!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wow amazing aren't they. So glad your duck has made it 3 days after such an attack.. Try making a gruel like soup out of his feed with some warm water.. sometimes they will drink their feed when not eating. And for sure get him some electrolytes and vitamins to put into his drinking water. Have you looked him over good for any wounds they will need to be cleaned up and treated in keep infection away.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  4. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Oh, it sounds like he is suffering. I hope he makes it!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Given the chance it is amazing what they can live through. Lets hope and pray he can make it .

6. Searsmom

Searsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Dandridge, TN
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll make sure he gets electrolytes and vitamins, I can get some at the co-op.

Thanks for all the advice and wishes.

I will keep you posted. If he does make it, I may have an inside pet. He keeps running into the wall on his blind side.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Searsmom he'll eventually get use to being blind but I'd still make sure he can manuver outside really well before putting him back. He may love being inside duck diapers are popular here on BYC. Hows his neck is he holding it up now? infection is the main thing to watch for and hopefully the flies are about non existent now because they can pose a real problem with open wounds. So another good reason to keep him inside.

8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    We are all in high hopes your duck will pull through, Searsmom. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Ducks do have an amazing propensity to heal. I have one that had a stroke two years ago and has been up and down since then but seems as strong as she can possibly right now and I think she is in good shape to survive another winter (after thinking that I was finally going to loose her a month ago). Vitamins and electrolytes are so important when they are ailing as is making sure all wounds are properly disinfected and cared for.

Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Vosh Sahaal

Vosh Sahaal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    Hopefully he recovers, but if he goes too long without his neck improving you might have to put him down. My hat's in the ring for him to get better.

10. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by