Raccoon attack, and you've already helped :)

MamaRoo

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
A ferry ride away, WA
Hi all, this is as much to say thank you as to glean any other additional advice.

I moved the chicks into their pen last night, and left my window open so I'd hear any ruckus. About 2 am I heard someone screaming and ran out (naked and barefoot
hmm.png
) to chase away the raccoon. Turns out the girls never did go into their coop and were packed against the side of the fence. I stuffed them all into the coop, and blocked the opening since they didn't want to stay, and saw that the little silkie had blood on her back. She was still bleeding a little, but it didn't look serious. I put a shoebox with fresh bedding in the coop, and put her and the little silkie roo in it, thinking it would be less stressful to stay with the pack. I then came inside and spent two hours on this forum trying to figure out what to do.

She's now inside and I've given her some aspirin water with a medicine dropper and I'm waiting for whatever pain relief to start happening from that before I wash her down. She seems quite alert and not lethargic so I'm a little less worried. It looks as if the coon ripped out handfuls of feathers, but didn't do too much damage. I'll know better when I wash her, I guess.

The other chicks are still in the coop and won't come out. I put a little gatorade in their water and put it in the coop, just to help with any shock.

Any other general advice?

Thanks, and you guys are great!

Quote:
Im glad your birds are ok! But...You need to lock them in their coop at night or the predators can and will come back since they have a taste for what you have now.

Quote:
Im glad your birds are ok! But...You need to lock them in their coop at night or the predators can and will come back since they have a taste for what you have now.

I agree and:

A big Texas-sized
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif

28464_temp_pic_file_080.jpg

Get a live trap available at most feed stores and TSC....Catch and dispatch...now that it knows where it can get a chicken dinner its just going to just keep coming back...also I hope you dont have close neighbors
lol.png

welcome-byc.gif
:
Yep! You've come to the right place.
You can find multiples of answers and advice on this site for the same question.
Not all will be right but when there is a difference of opnion, you will see it worked out by us members in a civil way. We are the smartest community because we pool our knowlege and learn from eachother's experiences. By watching these discussions, as you have already done while learning how to treat your raccoon attack at 2 am, you will learn what oldtimers and free thinkers know actually works in the real world without having to go throught the trial and error part.
It's a very helpful and varied community.
BYC - GOTTA LOVE IT!
Denise
Paradise Found

I plan to make the pen as safe as the coop. I have a long commute and won't be back before dark in the winter. I'll add a second layer of fencing today and add a wire roof (under the solid plastic roof that's already there).

I live in a semi-rural area so trapping is pretty pointless - there's always another one waiting for a spot.

I have two chickens in a tractor that I've had for a couple years so the predators already know how exciting my backyard can be.

Should I try to convince the young'ns to come out of the coop (into the relatively safe pen) or just let them decide when they're ready? I've put the water inside, but the food is still in the pen.

Quote:
You need to do what you see as the best way to protect them in the situation they are in until you can improve the situation. Are they safe where they are? Are you sure they are not injured requiring first aid?

I ran my hands over all of them and felt nothing. There's no visible injury on anyone but the silkie, no blood in the pen, and only white silkie feathers near the fence. I put two boards up in one corner of the pen so there is one well protected corner. I don't mind if they stay in the coop, I'm just trying to get a handle on chicken psychology (and I've been up since two am and my brain is working slowly).

Back
Top Bottom