1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon attack - Chicken foot broken/wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by javamama1, Oct 3, 2011.

1. javamama1

javamama1 New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    Our girls were terrorized in their sleep early this morning when a raccoon(s) grabbed onto one of our girls' legs through the fencing of their large pen and broke her foot trying to capture her. We managed to scare off the raccoons and rescue our hen. Significant damage appears to be one broken foot (which we have now splinted and added much neosporin to wounds on legs and feet); One of the other hens was so traumatized (although not physically injured) that she would not go into the pen tonight for sleeping. I carried her in after dark so she'd be safe (she's losing her feathers as a result of trauma; if she loses too many we will bring her inside to stay warm).

Hoot is recovering inside our kitchen on many towels and in a sidelying Rubbermaid large container. She is drinking water and eating from little cups that I've put next to her. Pooped only once today, and had her beak open but no panting (she was panting after it happened). She's probably very warm inside the house but better than outside especially since she cannot move.

Eyes were dilated most of the day. Heavy bleeding this morning from her foot but now it's coagulated. Underbelly dropping feathers. Afflicted leg is bare of feathers already. Early on in the day, I spoon fed her water and little treats, then her pellets. She's eating and drinking now on her own. We held her in warm house wrapped in towel for morning then set her outside on porch in the rubbermaid box. She didn't move much and even less now that the splint is on. She seems alert and as comfortable as you could be after a raccoon has attacked.

We have added plywood to the inside corner walls of our fully-caged 16X20 pen, as the girls like to sleep on perches. This should discourage any future attacks. We are also setting out a raccoon trap tonight. I was surprised at how late in the morning the raccoons ventured through our yard. It was almost turning light outside. And they certainly did not seem to be in a hurry to leave. We had to chase them.

Our plan is to keep her inside under care and supervision for as long as it takes to see healing on the wounds and her get her spunk back up.

QUESTION: Has anyone kept splint on broken foot and if so, for how long? Should we retape or just leave splint/tape on without disturbing. We can Q-tip the neosporin underneath if we need to. I'm concerned that we disturb the foot and cause more pain if we try and fiddle with the splint. Advice welcome.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I did splint a leg once and left on for three weeks before I changed splint. Then I think three more weeks. Am worried about internal infection. Maybe you could get an antibiotic going and some probiotic, vitamin, electrolyte mix for her water. Mercks Blue Ribbon at the farm store is great. I guess there is some poultry nutri drench too that might work and buttermilk also has probiotics. Dont give to much or it may offset the system balance. And she could get diarhea so go easyon it. [​IMG] Good luck.

3. javamama1

javamama1 New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    Thanks for great advice. Dear Hoot lived for one week, at first she was alert, albeit pretty immobile. Was eating and drinking fine. We would hold her gently and massage her good side lightly for circulation. At day three, she even layed an egg. Then at the five day mark she stopped eating and drinking and on Friday morning she left our flock for greener pastures filled with delicious bugs and worms. We are sad to say goodbye to her. Always a reminder to watch our flock as they depend on us for their safety.

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I would put her in an huge dog crate and then care for her [​IMG] four you guys

5. gforce07

gforce07 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    I don't like Raccoons [​IMG]

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I love racoons [​IMG] they are soo cute. But if they attack MY chickens its ON [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by