1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon attack followed by 4 weeks of no eggs from my 2 EEs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheep, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    But today, I found a green egg again - finally. I am so happy.
    She must have enjoyed the beautiful summery day today, after a long spell of cold gray, wet weather.
    But, my other EE still hasn't laid since the Christmas Eve mayhem. [​IMG]

2. Lostbody

Lostbody Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Do you think the egglessness was due to the weather or the stress? My birds have slowed to a crawl with their laying since the frost came around Christmas, and I live in freaking California! We don't have snow or anything!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Congrats!! [​IMG]

Do you think the egglessness was due to the weather or the stress? My birds have slowed to a crawl with their laying since the frost came around Christmas, and I live in freaking California! We don't have snow or anything!

Any type of stress on them can prevent them from laying for a good long while. The weather can also play a part but the main reason for them to quit laying during winter is the amount of daylight hours are shortened. If you add some artifical light to extend the daylight hours 3-4 hours extra a day it helps!!​

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    could be both the stress and weather

5. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:LOL
    It has been really cold & gray here the past month or so. But, it was immediately after the raccoon attack that they went from daily to 0, so I think it's mainly that. The attack was on Christmas Eve, when I wasn't here at my normal time. (I came home around 10 pm to the mayhem - feel guilty or what???)

6. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Stress can cause it, when I introduced a half dozen pullets to my adult flock of 6 hens they went from laying 5 eggs a day to 1 egg a day for over a month. so I say stress is a huge factor.. [​IMG]

7. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I didn't realize stress could cause a stop in egg-laying for that long. We also had a raccoon attack and one hen killed (the alpha) just before Christmas. I've gotten 1 egg a day since- mostly from the same pullet! I'd expected a decrease due to winter, and some of my girls being almost 2, but wow. Guess the stress explains it. Hopefully will pick up soon.

Thanks for the info and congrats on the renewed laying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by