Raccoon attack injury!! - Wound keeps bleeding, how do we treat this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by XilverAngel, Dec 22, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    HELP! THAT STUPID RACCOON HAS COME BACK AND IT WENT AFTER ANOTHER ONE OF OUR PULLETS!!!! unfortunately for him he got a squawky one that woke everyone up. PLEASE HELP MY FAMILY DOESNT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS! It was bitten in the back of the body near the tail and is bleeding all over the place. My parents managed to take out the ruined feathers and tried to put medication on it, but we don't know what else to do... PLEASE HELP PLEASE!!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I'm so sorry you have to go thru this.
    The first thing to do is calm down, and get the bird to calm down, too.
    If she senses you are upset, it will not help her to relax.
    Breathe.....
    Wrap her in a towel, I have special ones just for bloody messes, or you will have to think quick which one you won't mind throwing out.
    Don't use the good ones, or else mom will be ticked!
    Try to clean out the wound as best as you can, raccoon saliva probably has nasty germs, and they do carry rabies.
    What do you have in the house for injuries?
    Betadine, saline solution?
    Do you have Neosporin?
    And try to keep calm.
    You need to see how bad the wound is, if it is just scratched, or deeper.
    I would just do this in the sink, and rinse out first with warm water, and then the betadine.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    thank you so much for replying!!! out of what you mentioned i do have betadine, I'm not so sure about the others. My parents already cleaned out the wound and applied ointment and taped some gauze on top of her though, so I'm not so sure if I should go ahead and treat the wound again...

4. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    It depends on how bad it was.
    If she got taped up, depending on how bad she feels, she can leave the bandages on, or, if she feels pretty good, she will rip them off!
    Now you just have to wait and see.
    Just keep them covered for a few days, but check under them to make sure they aren't getting infected.
    And keep her separated from the others.
    You really need to make the chicken house a bit more secure, or it will happen again.
    Once the raccoons know where the drive thru is, they will keep coming back to feed.
    Good luck with her!
    Roberta

5. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Alright, right now she seems to be too traumatized to do any ripping, so it should be ok for now. I just pray to God it doesn't get infected. And thank you again for your replies, I will keep this bird quarantined for the while, and regarding the coop, my dad is currently reinforcing it. Also, is there a certain way she should be treated? I mean should she eat a certain kind of food, or drink a certain something? Thank you again for your responses!!

6. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Of course special treats, because she deserves them.
    Scrambled eggs, everything that is good for her, maybe some electrolytes in her water.
    If you have some antibiotics, but not yet.
    Just make sure you can get your hands on them if she starts to go downhill.

7. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Alright, definitely, I'll see what I can do. Right now it'll just be hard keeping her calm, she saw me stick out my hand and she went beserk and flew out of the restroom and ran all around the house... So my biggest problem right now is just making sure she doesn't go crazy and worsen the injury... Thank you so much for your help though, I will keep my eyes on her!! Thank you again!

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The best way to keep her calm right now is in a warm darkish area. She will be in shock and may not eat for a while, but make sure she has access to water with electrolytes or gatorade. Good luck with her!

9. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    She's currently in a box that's covered, so that'll be fine right? Electrolytes? What exactly are those? (sorry that's very dumb sounding...) We currently don't have anything in the box, because it's still too dark for us to get much done, not to mention the whole family is tired... so is it ok if she doesn't have access to water for around uhmm 3 hours or so? maybe 4?

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Rest is the best medicine right now, so she will survive a few hours without water. A good source of electrolytes would be Pediolyte or gatorade. Electrolytes help put back added nutrients (sodium, potassium, etc) that an animal or person under stress or sick loses which could cause them to become worse.

Once she is eating, high protein (eggs, meat, mealworms) foods will help her heal faster.

Once you are awake and she is calmer, a soak in a sink full of warm water with diluted betadine will help clean the wound plus any other wounds that you might not see under her feathers.

Right now a covered box should be fine, as long as she can breathe and is warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by