Raccoon attack last week, hens don't want to go back in coop at night

TARDIS37379

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Mowbray Mountain, Tennessee 37379
My Coop
My Coop
Lost 4 hens last week to a nasty raccoon. The attacks were every night until we finally found where they were coming in and secured the coop. After a few days I finally let them out to free range today and had a hard time getting them back in. How long until they forget what happened???
IMHO, usually a few days and they’ll go back to a normal routine. Raccoons will return, I’ve added electric fencing around the perimeter fence and it helps with all ground based predators.

PeachygirlGA

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2012
Fort Valley, GA
IMHO, usually a few days and they’ll go back to a normal routine. Raccoons will return, I’ve added electric fencing around the perimeter fence and it helps with all ground based predators.
Yes, that's what I thought too but 2 hens refused and I had to catch them with a fishing net, in the rain. Lol! And it has been 5 days since the last attack. I guess I will keep them in a few more days and see. This particular raccoon will not return, but I know there may be more. Had not thought of electric fencing. Thanks for the tip!

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
Poor babies, I am so sorry for this attack on your flock. Definitely consider researching on BYC some predator-proofing and prevention steps, including fencing. If you do consider the trapping/dispatch method, I encourage you to learn about tanning and put the harvested animal to good use.

Top Bottom