1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Raccoon attack on Barnevelder pullet, and the 'fix' graphic pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kansaseq, May 21, 2010.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Some of my Barnie pullets decided to sleep outside recently, and a raccoon took advantage of the situation. I interrupted the attack, saving this girl's life.
    The wound on her neck was about 2" long by 1" wide. It looked really bad, and I thought we'd have to euthanize her. After examining the wound at work, I decided to try closing it. Chicken skin is so elastic! It came together nicely. We used disolvable suture after cleaning with betadine scrub, irrigating with saline, and using tetracaine jelly to numb the area. Covering her face relaxed her enough to close the wound with no sedation. She will be on injectable antibiotics for the next 8 days, and her eggs will be discarded for the next month. We covered the wound with a light bandage as she was trying to pull the sutures out. She's doing very well.
    My friend took a good 'before' shot of the open wound, but she's not yet mailed it to me.
    Here is a pic of me closing the wound. I suck at suturing!

[​IMG]

The 'after' shot.
    [​IMG]

I'll include the before shot when my friend mails it to me.

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Wow![​IMG] Good job! that hen has a good mommy! I hope she gets better fast!!

Good Luck and keep us posted!
    Maddie

3. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sorry about your girl, glad you got there in time.

Nice work are you a vet?

4. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG]

5. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Thank you. I'm a tech. Comes in handy when you have animals [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You mention that the skin was very elastic- how far do you think you could have stretched the skin to do the suturing? I ask because last year I dealt with a really bad wound and have often looked back and wondered if I could have done things differently. The wound I was dealing with was a complete removal of skin down to the muscle in a patch about 4 inches wide and 8 inches long. The poor hen's back was completely flayed. I managed to get her healed eventually, but it took 2 months of isolation to get it there. I have often wondered if I did the right thing when I saved that hen. I think I may have done her a disservice. If presented with the same situation now I would either attempt a more radical repair or opt to cull. My question is whether I could have repaired that kind of damage.

Nice work, by the way.

7. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Wow, 4"x8" is pretty big. Every wound is different, but I think that may have been pushing the limits. If you stretch it too tightly, it will just tear. Sometimes it's tough to know what to do. I had wondered how well my hen's wound would granulate in if I just left it open and did bandage changes. I'm extremely lucky in that I've got lots of doctors and techs at my work that are willing to help and give advice.
    Do you have pics of your hens wounds? I'd love to see it. And anyone else is welcome to post pics and stories of their experiences. We can all learn from each other.

Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  9. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    CMV, that was an impressive wound! So you used Blue Kote after using neosporin for a few days?

10. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

Glad to see that you could save your beautiful hen.......... Then take her in to your working place (lucky for both of you!) clean her up, and sew up that wound. You are truly a good chicken's mommy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by