Raccoon attack :[ so sad right now!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GoatHouseProductions, Oct 16, 2011.

1. GoatHouseProductions

GoatHouseProductions Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    My runners were attacked by a raccoon yesterday evening. Two are fine, one passed, and one is injured. My poor girls!!!! I'm looking for advice for my injured duck. She can't really stand on one side, she has a scratch down her front side, and a pretty bad wound on her neck. We brought her inside in a box, put neosporin on the wounds, and left her with food and water, covered the box so she could get some rest. Today she's all shakey, I don't know that she's eaten or drinken anything, and I'm just not sure what to do for her.

Are there vets that take ducks? Or how should I treat her? What are her chances of survival?

2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I don't know much about ducks, but I sure would try to get her to drink a little water. check her wounds.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    A farm vet may be able to do something - that's who saw Blue a few days before she died. Though we were told she'd be fine after it healed...

If you want to find a vet, look for an avian vet or exotics vet and see if they can treat ducks.

Does she like peas? If so, give her some peas. If she'll drink some water, get some vitamins and add to the water.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have done pretty well so far with cleaning her up and bringing her in. Make sure she stays quiet. Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you more.

Have you ensured that the enclosure is predator proof now? A raccoon will come back if it had an easy meal.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It wouldn't be over reacting to take you duck to an Avian vet. I would worry the most about infection. I am sorry that you lost one of your ducks. [​IMG]

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Seperate her and pack the wound with neosporin for now. Not sure there's much a vet can do except charge you $$!!! I would set her up in a nice dark room/area so she has time to rest and hopefully heal. I had chickens attacked by a dog year ago. I had several that couldn't stand/walk and looked like they were going to die and pulled through. I just set them up in a dark room, gave lots of fresh water and food, and packed all their wounds with neosporin. Within a few weeks they were up, running, and healthy! Good luck!!!

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    When our duck was attacked by a coon.. we brought him in, treated the wound to prevent infection and kept it warm, clean and food/water readily available. All vets would do around here was put it down if needed. He pulled through and other than the loss of an eye was perfectly fine.

I'm sorry that happened. Did it get in the pen or something? Ours was a reach n grab overnight... after that we didn't leave them penned overnight.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hoping for a good out come for your duck [​IMG] please keep us updated and sounds like your doing a great job. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by