Raccoon attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rgerstenfeld, Oct 27, 2013.

1. rgerstenfeld

rgerstenfeld New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    St Paul, OR
    Bernaise, our female Silver Appleyard, was attacked at some point during the day, yesterday. We believe it may have been a raccoon (probably not a weasle since she's full grown) that was subsequently run off by our guardian dog. We treated her wounds (all head wounds) and stabilized her. In the past, our farm vet has given us injectable antibiotics. 1 injection initially and 1 more 3 days later. I don't know the name of this magic drug, but it always works. As luck would have it, today is Sunday and our farm vet is unavailable except at emergency vet prices, which are unfortunately prohibitive. I know that penicillin is available at the farm store, but I don't know what dosage to give her and for how long. Greatful for any advice on dosing.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. rgerstenfeld

rgerstenfeld New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    St Paul, OR
    Thank you so much. That's good information to have. She is a duck and a fairly robust one, at that. She's doing remarkably well with our twice daily alcohol/betadine flush and Neosporin applications. I think she'll pull through without antibiotics, but I'll pick up a bottle from the vet for our first aid kit so that I don't end up in a bind next time. Thanks again!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Um, I would definitely omit the alcohol. It's very uncomfortable, and either peroxide or Betadine serve the same purpose. Even the latter two should be diluted a good amount. They do kill some new cells, along with bacteria. Really, unless the wound is "dirty," (green pus, necrotic tissue, etc.,) saline is fine after the initial cleaning.

I hope she does well -- sounds like she is getting lots of attention, and I think that's half the battle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by